Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

color change process

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default color change process

ok i have tryed looking for a sticky on this and can not, i am looking at haveing my car painted a different color, i was wondering if someone could tell me the first few prep steps, the car has factory paint on it so i need to no what paper and process i need to use to prep the car for a different color.

If anyone has the process would you please post it for me. if i can get all the step to preping a car i will make a sticky for it.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont know, you have no business prepping and painting a nice car...
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you painting yourself or having someone else paint for you? Alot of painters wont touch another mans body work or offer no assurance of the final product. I dont anyways unless its a well know person and know I can trust their work.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Launching!

I know first hand that body shops will not touch DIY bodywork. Hell i even tried maaco for fun and they said that they could not guarantee it even if they found the prep to be perfect.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Listen to these guys. I took my car to a fucked up painter. They did shitty work. I then took it to the top of line guys in my area and they refused to work on my car no matter how much money. They did not want their name associated with my car after someone who sucked touched it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Im a retired painter and these guys are correct. If your going to have someone else paint it let them do the whole job. If you plan on doing everything yourself there are alot of different steps and procedures depending on the type of paint you are using. Too many to type out. If you want to give me a call i can help you out.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks guy,
but one on my buddies gunna paint the car. He is out of the country and i can not get a hold of him but the last time i talked to him he told me he was gunna help with the whole deal, my ? was just wanting to know the first few steps as the car still has clear and paint on all body parts. i didnt no if the first steps were easy enought me to to start stripping the car of old clear and base he will be back soon but i just wanted to start it.

I am working on striping the complete car this weekend of interior and seals and was wanting to get the whole thing rolling suck as the bumpers and fenders beacause the need no body work at at. i am leaving all the body work and final prep and paint to him sorry i did not clairify that in my first post. I have always wanted to lean so any help would awesome.

Dennis from bmr, if you dont mind i may call you tomorrow if your free. If your number is not the one in your sig you can pm me.
thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its dangerous to start sanding on the car if you dont know what your doing, and it's hard to explain how over the internet or phone. BUT do as you said, strip it down to the body panel's, and depending on the equipment you have and type of paint system your going to use, grab a D/a with the recommended grit and keep it flat if you angle it you will end up causing you and your friend headache's(gouges) down the road if you dont catch em. I'm assuming since your car is probably in decent shape that there will be little to no priming and filler work. If thats the case I'd sand with 400 since that's what most paint systems call for. If you run into a area where the d/a wont fit, get a sanding block and keep it flat(most important) if you must use your hand DONT finger sand it will dig gouges like the D/A use your palm to first knuckle and apply even pressure. There's more to it than it seems. Just keep a level head and pay attention, if you think you screw up somewhere make a note of it and show your buddy, any mistake in the prep is a mistake the rest of the way through the job.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

please do not STRIP the panels, the factory base/clear/seal is good, unless your taking out dents/chips, just DA or hand/flex block it with 320 or 600 depending on if your planning to prime it or not. There are so many implications and steps to this process i feel you may be getting in over your head and should wait for your friend....
Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you've never done it before. Definitly don't use any power sander. One of the biggest pains is blocksanding a shitty da job. I did my whole car with a paintstick broke down to about 3". I wet sanded with it wrapped in 400grit. Going in an X pattern. I would do a panel to the left \, then go back over the entire panel to the right /. I would end up doing this four to six times in each direction. Letting the paper do the work and just putting on even pressure. I could probably do an entire car in a day doing that way.

Anyway thats how I did mine.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys i think im just gunna wait till he gets back and watch and learn
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one ?, what should i scuff up all the door jams and everything with?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

red scotch brite
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok sounds good to me thanks