Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got a dent.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah we have a salvage yard here about 8 miles away. It's called GM Sport salvage. They have quite a good number of Birds and Maros, so I should be able to grab one from there. after I replace it, will the dent (or the vast majority of it) be gone? Or will I still have to heat gun the fender and push it back? Btw, thanks a lot for your help guys! I feel like a parent who just got their kid axed in the head but the kid is still living somehow <: [
Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Yeah we have a salvage yard here about 8 miles away. It's called GM Sport salvage. They have quite a good number of Birds and Maros, so I should be able to grab one from there. after I replace it, will the dent (or the vast majority of it) be gone? Or will I still have to heat gun the fender and push it back? Btw, thanks a lot for your help guys! I feel like a parent who just got their kid axed in the head but the kid is still living somehow <: [
i dont think you`ll have to use the heat gun. doesnt seem that bad. when you get the fit you like then you can hit it with some compound and wax n you should be good to go
Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea man, you should be fine once the bracket is either reshaped or replaced. I bet if you took it out the fender would sit normal again. I've done this twice on two different F-Bods for friends and we've never had to hit anything with a heat gun or get the fender formed back into place. Once the new bracket is there it will sit just like it did before.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please do a "How To" in this topic when you do this fix, because I need to do a similar fix on a Camaro.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Will do. The trip to the Chevy dealership now was full of fail. I went in the expecting to know what part I needed but didn't. Complete, total and utter fail. The guy there printed me out this chart:

he and I thought I might need number 12 and/or 17. Is it one or both of those? Which part(s) do I need and do you know for sure? I haven't taken off my fender yet, I want to do that when I'm taking the old one off and installing the new one. Thanks for the help guys! I'm so close to finishing! I just want my bird back
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That pic is confusing.

Though this is a Camaro, maybe this pic can help you make some sense of it.
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/a...ostructure.jpg
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

I wish it could. That pic is confusing indeed. Im just going to take off my bumper and fender and take the part there and figure it out then
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

So Ive taken off the fender and most of the bumper. I hammered out on part to be straight that was bent, but that metal bracket is irrepairable. I ordered a new one from GM yesterday, so we'll see how long that takes. Hopefully not more than another day or two

Quick Reply: Got a dent.........