Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

TA hatch painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA hatch painting

I have a 94 Formula and purchased an 02 rear TA hatch with tall spoiler. I am about to start to prep for a color change. Any helpful hints with painting I am probably going to paint it off the car. Hang it by the ceiling? build a stand? May have problems getting paint in all the nooks & crannys. I'm sure someone here is done this before any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghost666
I have a 94 Formula and purchased an 02 rear TA hatch with tall spoiler. I am about to start to prep for a color change. Any helpful hints with painting I am probably going to paint it off the car. Hang it by the ceiling? build a stand? May have problems getting paint in all the nooks & crannys. I'm sure someone here is done this before any help would be great.
Thanks
The spoiler actually unbolts and comes off the trunk lid. You remove the plastic on the underside of the trunk lid to access the bolts. Then you can hang the spoiler and lay down the paint nice and even.

Don't try to paint them together
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
The spoiler actually unbolts and comes off the trunk lid. You remove the plastic on the underside of the trunk lid to access the bolts. Then you can hang the spoiler and lay down the paint nice and even.

Don't try to paint them together
yeah I've got everything unbolted I guess my bigger concerns were with painting around the window getting into the crevice between the window and lid
also where the fiberglass part of the lid and steel part join. I wont be removing the glass. Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled off the molding around the glass and taped around the glass.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I pulled off the molding around the glass and taped around the glass.
How did you take the molding off and did you have to replace it & where to get a new one?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

It just pulls off. There will be sticky molding adhesive left behind.

As for replacing it.... My Forumla didn't have the molding around the glass anyway. They left it off from the factory. So... I left it off the glass of the T/A hatch.

If you want to put it back on... silicone or molding adhesive would probably work.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 01-25-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a replacement molding... it is still avabile through gmpartsdirect.com

Look for it under the catagory of liftgate. They referenance the part as "lace" part 4. GM part number 10306248.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
If you want a replacement molding... it is still avabile through gmpartsdirect.com

Look for it under the catagory of liftgate. They referenance the part as "lace" part 4. GM part number 10306248.
ya looked it up like 53 bucks may clean mine up and reinstall see how it goes might be easier to buy new then clean all the glue off.

Quick Reply: TA hatch painting