Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

DIY Racing Stripes???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DIY Racing Stripes???

Has anyone done it themselves???? I mean like the ceta or berger panel mod. I still have my original hood on my T/A and want to put some flat black stripes on it for the mean time until I get my ram air hood. I've priced both vinyl and paint shops and I don't want to spend $200+ either way for something I'm not going to keep. I don't want it to look cheap, but can I use the same process as the ceta or berger mod??? Wet sanding, primer, flat black paint, any kind of clear ect.......
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy some tape lay it out how you want it to look cover the rest for overspray! Then scuff with grey scuff pad until no more shine! Then get some spray paint sounds ghetto but it will look pretty nice I would prefer a satin instead of flat then spray until it looks good dont rush it light even coats it will dry to a nice sheen then pull the paper and tape off! get some striping tape lay it around the edges of your racing stripes use striping enamel with striping brush to make a nice stripe should cost $20 tops! Good luck
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

the vinyl stripes i've seen dont cost over $200. where have you looked?

I too have considered this. the only thing that i thought of, that turned me off of the idea, is having a perfectly smooth transition from stock paint to the stripes. its a lot easier to screw up on stripes than with the ceta mod or berger, since they are separated from the surrounding areas. so even if the transition isn't great, it's nowhere near as noticeable. since the areas of the bumper, are there own separate sections
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wannaB
buy some tape lay it out how you want it to look cover the rest for overspray! Then scuff with grey scuff pad until no more shine! Then get some spray paint sounds ghetto but it will look pretty nice I would prefer a satin instead of flat then spray until it looks good dont rush it light even coats it will dry to a nice sheen then pull the paper and tape off! get some striping tape lay it around the edges of your racing stripes use striping enamel with striping brush to make a nice stripe should cost $20 tops! Good luck
I agree here if your gonna lose the hood anyway just use some good quality spray paint I would also suggest some 3m fineline tape for the edges leaves a cleaner edge than masking tape most paint suppliers usually carry it on hand.
Its also nice and flexible for making curves works great for flames too.
Good luck
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

I did mine The way Wannab Described. came out fine...

Quick Reply: DIY Racing Stripes???