Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much does a paint job cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much does a paint job cost

I have a 94 trans am no dents how much should a black paint job should cost?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

repaint in the same color- $2000-$3000, and up

full repaint (door jambs, etc) in new color- $3000 and up

these are just general prices though. of coarse there will be places that do it for less, even as low as $600ish at some shops (like Maaco), and shops that will charge $6000 and up.

talk to the painter about their process, and see if you can see some of their work or check out other jobs they're working on. if it looks like they're doing cheap/lazy work, with 20 cars in their lot, stay away
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks i'll do that
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its usally a general rule that customers are not allowed in the work area for insurance reasons, unless your a friend of the painter or parts driver, or family the average joe schmo will not be allowed in the work area

what if im grinding a weld down i dont see the joe walking in the shop, he get a spark in his eye, guess he can sue and then the snowball affect of law suits, insurance so on and so on

just becasue your car is black, and it has no dents no rust, its still a llabor intensive job, removing all the parts, the preping of the parts, we dont have a magic wand that touches the car and magically its fixed and painted, no we are sanding, removing parts, blocking and so on..................

where i work, the starting price is 3,000 custom work the body labor goes up to 100 a hour, custom paint labor goes up or just the average repaint its 3k and up

but you want nicey nice your going to pay for nicey nice, 3k and up, the cost of labor, material, car sits in the shop for a month, everything adds up and adds up real fast
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

It all depends on what kinda job you want, gotta remember that you get what you pay for
Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to hijack the post but is it cheaper if say I just want the front bumper and hood repainted is it cheaper if I would pull the parts off my self or it it basicly the same if I just would take the whole car in?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fuseone
Not trying to hijack the post but is it cheaper if say I just want the front bumper and hood repainted is it cheaper if I would pull the parts off my self or it it basicly the same if I just would take the whole car in?
it is cheaper with the parts off you dont have to worry about over spray and you can paint other things with it
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say the range is about $300-$8000
You can pay for squirrel burger or you can get filet mignon. It's all up to you and your particular budget. A decent BC/CC black with the dust nibbed and buffed out of it, similar to the factory finish but mabye a step or two below, I'd expect to pay around $2000 give or take. Find a good shop that's slow on work, they'll work with you.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

id say at least 3,000 or more if it was a show paint quality
Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends... if you find someone local to you who does it on the side, you can get it cheaper than paying full shop rates.

I'm looking at around $2k to fix underbody rust and coat it, replace bumper, fender, hood (I have the parts already), fix dents, add an exhaust valence (and fix it, thanks fedex!), and repaint the whole car. That is with me doing some of the work pulling trim and moldings and such.

Quick Reply: How much does a paint job cost