Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear Bumper Sag

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Bumper Sag

So my car has had a minor rear bumper sag as long as I've had it, but the other day I noticed it seems like its worse than it used to be. My tail panel is also popped out more than it should be on the passenger side and has (like the bumper) always been that way. I was wondering though if any of you guys would have any idea what was most likely causing the issues? I am guessing its most likely the hardware holding the bumper? Might I be able to take it apart and put it back together and get it lined up or will new hardware for sure be required if that's the case? I know also that the bumper could be warped but I'm hoping its not. The car does not seem to have been wrecked before the one I got in last October. The tail panel being out of line does make me wonder though. Anyway, here's some pics. Pardon the mass amount of filth. The car hadn't been washed since the wreck and I went to wash it earlier but it was starting to get dark so I sort of gave up and just pulled the car back in Oh well, guess I'll get it cleaned up tomorrow. Here's the pics.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-31-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bumper cover on my car was saging a bit like yours. To fix it all I did was take the bumper cover off, and where the top of the bumper is secured to a thin tab of sheet metal..just bend the tab up some and that should get rid of the sag. Worked like a champ with my car.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I'd try that first, plus when you take the bumper off you might find another reason why it's sagging
Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weeeeeeeellllll this sucks. I stripped one of the screw heads out of the bumper putting it back together. I was holding the bumper up to close the gap and was trying to get the nut good and tight. Well....I didnt even hear any odd noises or feel any sudden breakages, but then I noticed the gap by the rear driver's side corner seemed a little big compared to how decently I had closed up other parts. So I took it apart again and what do I find but that the screw has been TOTALLY stripped out of the bumper cover. I'm gonna drill a hole through the middle of where the head was and run a longer bolt through it. Anything wrong with that? I can't think of anything but just thought I'd double check.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Sag