Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

71 camaro resto

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default 71 camaro resto

k so im fixing to get started on this, and im looking for a few tips. paint is terrible (blue bird egg blue) painted over im guessing the orignal color since i have done no sanding at this point. the other color is a sort of burnt orange brown color (looks like rust) the body is in great shape straight as an arrow except a few rust bubbles on the rear quarters and front fender (down on the bottom). floor pans are great and its a split bumper car although not from the factory.

it has a terrible 90 dollar sunroof which i intend to replace with a t top roof off of a 76.

but im just looking for some general getting started tips

obviously i need to take it down to bare metal to see how bad the rust spots are and if i will need new panels or a patch panel.

my thoughts were strip it down get it in an epoxy primer (get it ready for paint mostly) then work on the powertrain (ls3 paddle shift is what i have in mind) get all the hard stuff done then get it painted and do the interior.

i have all the tools i just need a few tips

and i will try to get pics up soon
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would disassemble the car and either have it blasted or strip by hand with sander depending on how much paint is on it. then spray with epoxy prime, do all repairs you can then let a professional check it out to make sure it doesnt need any more work. u can use a chemical stripper or a air sander, if you use a air sander with 40 grit be carefull on body lines and edges not to go through them. then sand with 80 grit on a da before primer
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 72 camaro on which i want to start on as well, lemme know how your build goes please post progress pictures.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks black sheep that is what i was looking for
andi will try and get some pics up when i get started
Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

That show Muscle car on spike did a good how to on Dana White's cuda build,,, they striped the fender on his cars durring the build i dont know the episode but i bet someones posted it on the net somewere. or you could buy the build dvd if its available yet. They showed chemical and manual paint striping. if it was me and could afford it id strip the car and take the body to a media blaster or something... striping by hand is very slow and messy.
are you just wanting to strip the rusted parts or the full car. If just that area id use a grinder,, and weld in patch panels.,, grind smooth,, they also cover this in that episode I mentioned,, they welded in the shark fins but same thing as a repair patch.
I had to do 2 patches like that on the bottom of my 81 fenders,, very similar. Hows the rear subframe under infront of the rear tires? alot of cars go there. if its good there then congrats, also is the metal part of the dash rusted in the corners by the windsield?
check out some of the pics of my 81 resto on page 2 or 3 i forget.....I did it all myself with just the tools I had.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2823571
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

from what i remember its clean by the windshield but i havent had it up on the rack yet to see what the rear frame looks like. i crawled under it with a flash light before i got it to look at the floor pans and they looked great so i would be kinda shocked if anything else is really really bad
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

81 looks great by the way
Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks
if your dash is good and floor, then your frame rails "should" be good too.
oh another place that goes but is very insignificant is inside the rear valance, easyer to see under the car,,, between the rear bumper and gas tank.
Have fun with the build,,, they are alot easyier to work on then you think,, hard to line up perfect tho i find.

Quick Reply: 71 camaro resto