Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wet sanding and buffing...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wet sanding and buffing...?

Ok so I just sprayed my new hood and had to wet sand with 1000 up to 2000 it's all flat and even now but what is the best compound to use to buff it out to a mirror finish??? I have foam pads and k ow how p buff just need a good cutting compound to get rid of these fine scratches from the paper. I tried using meguire prof cutting/polish but it seemed to only shine it up a little it still lookshazy and if looking closely you can still see some very fine scratches...

Last edited by C Murda; 08-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, IMO, you don't need a really expensive buffing compound after wet sanding. But, what I used was just regular turtle wax buffing compound and turtle wax polishing compound. Then, once you're done with that, I would use a nice high quality wax....as long as the paint has cured. I use pinnacle waxes.

Results can be seen here of my latest project.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

3m compound not sure what number it is but its the black bottle im a painter its what i use on every car gets them right out make sure u dont have anymore 1000 grit scratches in it
Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had very good results with polishing compound. i would try the rubbing compound (by hand)and then the polishing compound (machine if needed). they are like $3 at walmart
Old 08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well wet sanded the hell out of it and used a wool pad with3m rubbing compound then stepped p to a medium foam pad with some meguires polish/cutting compound then again with a finishing foam pad with some 3m dark glaze and got it to look great! now to paint my SS rear wing...
iphone pics dont show quality but here ya go

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

After a repaint I wet sanded the whole car with 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit, used the 3M Perfect-it 2 rubbing compound with wool pad, then 3M perfect-it 2 polishing glaze with a foam pad, then several Meguiar's products with a foam pad to get this finish on my 87 IROC. It is as smooth as glass, but I spent about 80 hours sanding / polishing. This was my first time color sanding / buffing. I also spent about 4 hours taping off edges. I did go through in two spots but I blame the painter.The clear seemed " dry" and had a lot of orange peel, but actually was barely covered and sanded through with only a couple of strokes with 2K paper. http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...E/IROC%20pics/

Quick Reply: Wet sanding and buffing...?