Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Uneven hatch HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven hatch HELP!!

Ever since i bought my car used i noticed the the hatch doesn't seem to close all the way, well it latches all the way but my body lines don't match. it seems to be raised about 1/4 of an inch on the driver side and close to 1/2 on the passenger side. all the rubber stopers are set all the way down so i really don't know what to look for now. Any ideas
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

move the latch down
Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

take off the rear plastic panel .......i found that mine had spacers on the latch
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Teching In

k thanks guys, the hook on the latch is all the way down so hopefully when i take the plastics off the hatch i can move the that part of the latch some, Thanks again
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Well i took the latch off and it was already all the way down. I also took of the plastic around the the hook eye on the hatch and there were no spacers. I wonder if i can just take a die grinder and grind the holes on the latch so it can be mounted a little lower. I would think that this would work. What do y'all think?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

before you go that drastic give this a try, i was told it was what was wrong with mine as it is doing the same thing i just havent got around to doing it yet.

where the hatch bolts on to the car is adjustable but you cant adjustit unless you undo the struts becasue they keep pulling the hatch away from the b pillar. there are 4 bolts 2 per hinge loosen them (you may need help for this part) and undo the struts and see if it will slide back then tighten them hook your struts back up and see if that doesnt make it line up better.

as i said i was told by a friend that works at a body shop to give this a try, and i would definantly try messing with a few bolts before i tried cutting stuff up.

Quick Reply: Uneven hatch HELP!!