Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Shave berger panel and antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shave berger panel and antenna?

So Im about to do some paint work on the car. Ordered a trufiber ultra z hood, and an SS spoiler, and Ill be painting the stripes on this time. While Im at it, I was considering removing the antenna and filling the hole, since I dont plan on having a stereo ever again (using it as a gauge cluster). I was also considering filling CAMARO lettering on the berger panel. I would repaint it arctic white, as Im not a fan of the flat black panel on white cars. Also looking for ideas on a paint scheme for the fuel door. I was thinking possibly a black ring, with white door flap? Or maybe just all white on white. Either way the current clear coat is peeling and it needs to be refinished. I am also fully debadging the car, and removing the door moulding.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good! i look forward to seein it!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is mine, i think it looks cool without the antenna!

i say go for it!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i def plan on shaving my antenna too
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did a little work this weekend...

Berger Panel:
Roughed up the CAMARO lettering with the dremel to give the body filler some tooth to grab on to. Filled, sanded and primed the panel. Put it back on the car since I may not get around to painting it for another week or two.

Antenna:
Removed the antenna, cut a small section of steel and welded it in place, ground it down, filled, sanded and primed.

In other news I was able to plastic weld a small crack in the WRX's bumper using a torch and an old flat blade screwdriver. Came out pretty strong. Dremmeled down and filled with flexible bumper filler. Im going to spray the whole front bumper since subaru uses cheap factory paint and its all chipped and pitted from rocks on the highway.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was originally going to plan on painting the berger panel arctic white like the rest of the car, but I started thinking more and more about doing a gloss black shaved berger panel and blacked out tail lights.

I came across this pic on tech:

What do you guys think? Keep in mind, I would stay debadged, and I will be spraying the black stripes on.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it gives the camaro a more tied together looking *** end like the trans am has. I always liked how the TA lights looked like one large congruous piece. My big concern is that the stripes could make it go either way very quickly. They could work really well and tie things in nicely, or all that black could really overpower things. I guess Its easy enough to try and if I dont like it, its easy enough to paint again.

Heres a quick and dirty little photoshop mockup of what I had in mind...
Attached Thumbnails Shave berger panel and antenna?-camaro_mockup.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

A few updates:

What a terrible weekend to try and paint outdoors! The cold and wind was just brutal and really caused a ton of problems for me. The house Im at is being sold soon, so If I didnt try to paint this past weekend, I might not have been able to paint till I get my own place.

Anyway, I did get paint on the car. I had a TON of bubbles in the white on the hood. I sanded them out the first few coats, but I really blew through a quart in no time. Since I was running low, I couldn't chance sanding through and running out, so the basecoat wasnt quite as smooth as I wanted. Im going to haveto rely on the clearcoat to level things out.

While I tries a couple fine mist coats on all the masking lines, I still got a bit of bleeding under the tape. Im seriously considering covering the edges with vinyl pinstripe tape to cover up the issues.

The wind was whipping and sadly knocked the spoiler around as it was hanging from a pole for paint. I had to touch up a couple of spots with a brush before the clearcoat. These are pretty noticeable, unfortunately.

I have a bit of dust and other debris to wetsand out of the clearcoat on just about everything except the berger panel, which some how made it through the ordeal unscathed. Everything else will need wetsanding and another coat or two of clear. I need some better conditions in order to get a wet enough coat to self level.

Anyway, despite all those problems, I still did what I could. Im hoping that I can fix the issues and get it to look semi passable for the time being. Im sure its gonna be a 20 foot paint job - any closer and you'll easily see the imperfections. Once I land somewhere of my own, Ill take it down and try again. After all, its only paint.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would definitely leave the berger white. i think with the black stripes, the black panel would be too much imo.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

How did you paint your shaved antenna? did you mask off the entire quater? i have some quater panle damage and i really don't want to paint the whole quater.... but i don't see any other way of doin it.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hartje
How did you paint your shaved antenna? did you mask off the entire quater? i have some quater panle damage and i really don't want to paint the whole quater.... but i don't see any other way of doin it.
Depends on what clear coat you use. I only had "over all" clear coat, not "spot repair" clear coat, so you can see the fade. Ill probably re-clear the entire panel now. However you only need basecoat over the repaired area.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Got the hood on, and wetsanded the clear to 1500 grit. I have a good two coats of clear on there now. Im deciding whether or not to spray another final coat or two after sanding, or if I should just sand to 3000 grit and start buffing now.

Anyway, here's the hood on the car:

Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

I like it alot! Like mentioned leave the berger panel white. Now I would consentrate on that Fascia and the car would like pretty damn sweet. Nice job!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

very nice hood on that white camaro,
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

My artic white brotha... looking good yo

Quick Reply: Shave berger panel and antenna?