Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Etching Primer??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Etching Primer??

Ok, with so many primers that are out there I'm a little confused. I know when you have a bear metal panel you should use etching primer before anything else is applied. Also I am under the understanding that you should not apply your color over etching primer as it does not adhere as well as it does to an epoxy type primer. Now for my question. After you spray it, should you wait for it to dry and scuff it up before you apply the epoxy primer or can you shoot the epoxy right away? I've sprayed etching primer a few times and I have noticed that it dries really quick. Also, should you use etching primer on fiberglass panels or is it pointless to use considering its not a metal panel? Another question. If you are doing a repair on a panel and bear metal is showing but not through out the whole panel, should you spray the entire panel or just hit the metal spots? Thanks guys much appreciated.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Panel repairs.. I use epoxy primer.
Etch primer on f'glas?? Take a look at the mfgr's website. They will have printable instructions posted. I'd skip the etch and go directly to epoxy.. I use PPG DPLF..
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

To answer your questions....yes it is recommended to spray color over an epoxy primer and not etching primer however if you have a little spot where you sanded thru then you can put a light see thru coat of etching primer on it, let it flash for 5 minutes, then continue with a sealer and then color. Etching primer is not required on fiberglass. You do not have to allow the etching primer to dry and then sand it before you apply epoxy primer. I use etching primer every single day and have never had it fail on me. I always put a see thru coat of etching primer on bare metal spots then wait 5 minutes and then spray epoxy primer. As always though, refer to the manufacturers specifications when using any product
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. Today was the first day I sprayed ppg's wash primer. DX 1791. It's also the first time I've ever sprayed a transparent primer. To tell you the truth I didn't like it much. I'm used to spraying primers that cover. Don't get me wrong it dried fast but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I defenitly like the Dpx 171 a lot better. It actually covers and dries just as fast. That's just my opinion anyway. Thanks again it's always good to get others ideas when it comes to body work. Everyone seems to have there own way of doing things.

Quick Reply: Etching Primer??