Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

So this is "DONE"? I call BS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am slowly learning to do custom paint and bodywork and I would be ashamed to let anyone see that work if I was the tech, and I don't do it for a living.

Completely unacceptable.

Insurance companies are all snakes. When my 96' Riviera was backed into while my brother was driving it, the other party was covered under progressive. It took three days for their adjuster to get back with me, and then they expected ME to drive 40 miles to their so called 'approved repair facility". I told them that wasn't going to happen as it wasn't my fault. Finally a day later they agreed to meet me half-way.

The damage was a 1" slit in the rear bumper cover and some light paint scraping.

Their adjuster came out, she walked around it for about 20 seconds then wrote up an estimate for $300. I quickly refused to accept it and whipped out the three estimates I had ranging from $700 to $1300, she then tells me they don't go by estimates, only what their preferred facilities charge. They quoted using a salvage bumper cover and spraying it. I told the adjuster I wouldn't accept it as the part that was damaged was factory GM and that was what was going back on the car. She acted all huffy and went back to write another claim, she must have realized the cost of replacement parts on these cars when she actually bothered to look up actual cost.

I walked out with a check for $1100, and a severe hatred for insurance companies.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

well they have it all together and Im supposedly getting it back tomorrow (when of course we are supposed to have another ice storm come through! . more news to come, I promise! haha. I swear this is the most long and drawn out process EVER when having a car fixed
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea old junkyard stuff should work fine. They used junkyard fenders on my SS when it was in the shop. Came out perfect.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 249 Likes on 205 Posts

i am trying to stay home with all this dammm snow and ice.......me and the bad weather dont get along......almost wrecked my car on the ice thur.......my car went in the ditch...stayed there til sat when it warmed up
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i am trying to stay home with all this dammm snow and ice.......me and the bad weather dont get along......almost wrecked my car on the ice thur.......my car went in the ditch...stayed there til sat when it warmed up
where was this at? was it a white camaro? I think i saw one off of 820 that fit that description lol
Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

A buddy of mine has a worse story than this. He had a 1990something Lexus SC400 lightly modded, decided to get a lip kit and a few other things and have the whole car repainted(pearl white). A very reputable shop down in georgetown DE quoted 7k for all bodywork etc.. and car painted. He said ok. A month later he picks the car up and drives down to florida to visit family. One day he goes outside and notices what he thought were scratches on the roof. Turns out they were cracks. over the next two days the ENTIRE paintjob cracked and started chipping. once he went home took it back to the shop and they said "sorry the new guy did it" and offered a repaint, he accepted. We went to pick it up 3 weeks later, open the door the door panel falls off, theres runs in the front bumper, runs on the door handles, runs under the car. He sued and recieved alot more then he put into it. lol
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And the idiot that painted this is.........
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

So here she is done! It looks ALOT better!! I still see a tiny part of a flap on the right.Let me know what you think, will get some more pics tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they prolly didn't have all the screws in when you went and looked at it. It doesn't look bad IMO
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The flap needs work tho.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does look a million times better. Maybe not quite perfect, but it was tagged pretty hard I have never seen anything be perfect after an accident....it can still be better though. Did they fix all the other issues? Honestly....I like it without the WS6 emblem, lol.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
It does look a million times better. Maybe not quite perfect, but it was tagged pretty hard I have never seen anything be perfect after an accident....it can still be better though. Did they fix all the other issues? Honestly....I like it without the WS6 emblem, lol.
haha i know me too. I ordered the black/silver ws6 emblem just incase i wanna put it on. yeah they did and added the CETA mod for the bumper. i mean either the tab on the right maybe its just the angle i took the pic. still would like not to see it. Just glad to finally have it back home after 2 MONTHS!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Glad ya got it worked out, I think you're right, it might be the angle the pic was taken, either way it is still much better.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well the bottom line is are you happy. Yes it's better but yes it could be better. I have been in your shoes and you need to realize the shop will do as good as it has too and bill as much as it can for the chosen method of repair( and yes they have more than one) .they are in business to make money. Sad but in today's world most will cut corners to make a little extra cash and in most cases get it close enough to make the customer happy. The smaller jobs are the bread and butter and unless they are really good at what they do the lagre jobs usually have the smallest profit margin .unless they are working with an individual or a forgiving agent. I don't know the shop you are dealing with and this is not an attack on them. Just previous experiences over 25 years of driving and more cars than I can remember.as well as shops.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HAte
looks like after market bumper, paired with lazy prep, ive seen alot of bumpers flake inside little detail lines because people are too lazy to sand inside there.

sometimes they flake because of being bare plastic and no plastic adhesion promoter used, but ive only very very few gm bumpers bare plastic, usually even after market gm is primed

in your "before pic" the pass. quarter looks rolled out a little on the edge, but after it def. looks even more rolled.. was it in an accident before?

do you have pics of the damage on the quarter before you sent it to the shop. id like to see them if you do
That is not a aftermarket bumper, aftermarket parts will not have any manufacturer markings and there is no a/m rear bumper available for that vehicle. As far as flaking is concerned its cause by not properly prepping the parts, adhesion promoter is NOT the right way to prep anything
Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that blows..
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

You can tell it's been painted. That sucks
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

yea, that is a terrible job on their part,.,,
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Honestly I wouldnt accept the way it looks now.

The bumper sticks out, the shade and such is different. They didn't blend the rear quarter with it at all.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by David21
Honestly I wouldnt accept the way it looks now.

The bumper sticks out, the shade and such is different. They didn't blend the rear quarter with it at all.
guess you didnt look at the new pics I just posted on either post 3 or page 3