Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

newb question, 2nd coat

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb question, 2nd coat

ok so im painting my bumper with a single stage deep red color, and i primed the whole bumper a few times and sanded down any dimples/scratches etc, but this left a couple small spots amongst the gray bumper (silver dollar sized at the most) that was the original deep red underneath exposed. well i was lazy and shot the first layer over it, since it was smooth , and it covered well, except now i have some even darker red blemishes on the bumper from the old paint showing through. this is on my beater car so i really dont care and its more an experiment with bondo, but do you think it will go away with another coat of the dark red, or can i spray primer over the areas that are blemished (not the whole bumper) and then do a second coat of the red?

i know i should have stripped it down to bare plastic for best results, and i should just re-prime the whole thing, but im trying to save money. (and thanks mit-so-bichi for not selling yr paints in any damn store so i have to custom order) so whats the best way to proceed before i wet sand and buff? should i wet sand this first layer as well?

thanks for your time and cheers
Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody? lol...
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

If you already put a coat on it,you'll need to let it dry then sand it down again,DA with 600 n a grey scotch brite edge to edge.then put a coat on any cut through areas,let it flash(5 min)then cover the entire bumper,then maybe one more if you still see the bad spots,next time you prime something u need to put a sealer over it,for dark reds you usually a dark grey(some darker reds won't cover good at all).plus a sealer will help to bury out sand scratchs from sanding it.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with above. You might try the second coat and see if it hides those spots. If you prime over you first coat at just those spots, they'll become light spots, so don't do that. If a second coat doesn't hide the spots, go with what Sinister said.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks guys... how long for it to dry / cure? ive heard about a week before i should wetsand the final layer and buff? (single stage paint)

thanks again!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

A week should b fine,when to buff single stage paint some of it comes off on the buffer pad so don't b surprised when it turns red,just take your time n you'll get it to shine up nice
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great. thanks again.