Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

clay bar problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clay bar problem

I have a MNB 98 t/a and I used the mothers clay bar kit stuff on the car and followed directions to a T and now I have little white dots all over where I used it on my wing. You can only see the spots if you look really hard. it looks as if its actually IN the paint. I cant feel anything and its smoothe as glass I love it but now i have those spots. Any ideas on what this is and how to get rid of it?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

Was there any pitting or fish eyes in the paint before that could maybe be holding small amounts of filler that the clay removed? Did you notice anything stuck in the clay that matched the paint color?

Have you clayed before? If there was a neglected buildup of iron particles (which there almost always is) they could have actually eaten into the clear and when you removed them exposed the damage left behind.

To fix it I'd first try to polish the area to see if you notice any improvement. Its certainly an unusual problem, but then again I'm not sure what Mothers is putting in their clay kits anymore so there could be any number of issues at work here.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

Was there any pitting or fish eyes in the paint before that could maybe be holding small amounts of filler that the clay removed? Did you notice anything stuck in the clay that matched the paint color?

Have you clayed before? If there was a neglected buildup of iron particles (which there almost always is) they could have actually eaten into the clear and when you removed them exposed the damage left behind.

To fix it I'd first try to polish the area to see if you notice any improvement. Its certainly an unusual problem, but then again I'm not sure what Mothers is putting in their clay kits anymore so there could be any number of issues at work here.

Ya first time im clayed the car...just got it like a month ago or so. No i didnt see those spots until i clayed it. The paint is smoothe as glass but has spots. Huge difference from where i havent clayed it. And no the clay is still yellow no color change of the clay at all. It doesnt even look dirty or anything.