Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Spiderwebbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Spiderwebbing

If your front or rear bumper starts to spiderweb, can it be fixed? Ive heard that once it does it will come back even if you repaint it. Is this true? Ive tried the search and cant find anything on the subject. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by the body shot who painted my hood that I'd have to just replace the front bumper
Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Usually it is just the paint that is spiderwebbed. In that case. you just have to remove all paint down to the plastic. Sometimes the plastic is spiderwebbed too, but I do not think it would be a problem as long as you didnt flex the plastic again.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Teching In

It will come back. Unfortunately the material itself can spiderweb. But, from what my body shop said, you can sand it out and make it look good. If that will bother you though, you might as well get a new bumper.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

what.. its the paint guys, this can be fixed by sanding it down and repainting. no need to replace bumpers, people who do stupid **** like this cost themselfs money, but i guess i pick up the slack by fixing these damaged parts and reselling them.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its in the paint, then just sand it down to the plastic, prime with a good flexible primer and repaint, using a flex additive.....if its in the bumper, you can always jsut topcoat the bumper with again..flexible topcoat, theen prime,paint.... no need to replace bumper
Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just left it as it was. I wasn't going to replace the bumber, the body shop just said the labor would be more to sand it down and repainted then just to buy a new bumber and paint it, but I did only go to one body shop for the problem
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

My front bumper had the same problem. Just sanded it down tonight, only seemed to be in the clear. I hope it turns out well.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan_key
I just left it as it was. I wasn't going to replace the bumber, the body shop just said the labor would be more to sand it down and repainted then just to buy a new bumber and paint it, but I did only go to one body shop for the problem
Bingo!! You can't really sand these bumpers and fix anything to be cost efficient to the customer. When your paying a shop $60-80 per hour it's cheaper to buy a new one off ebay for $150 shipped and then pay someone $250-270 to paint it.
When you sand these bumper covers the plastice feathers really bad...even with 320 if your not careful and that is really hard to prime out and get smooth again.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
When you sand these bumper covers the plastice feathers really bad...even with 320 if your not careful and that is really hard to prime out and get smooth again.
im going to disagree with you there. had my front bumper sanded down to the plastic and repainted 3 times....(1st was deer hit it, second was rock chips i wanted done away with and the third was paint cracked on the bottom due to my dumbass setting the front shocks too low and coming down hard from a 3.5' launch) still the original bumper and no complications other than a spec of dirt in the new paint. even shaved the rear bumper which needed to be stripped and re-painted once done. I can show you the bumpers if you like since you are in winchester and my car is currently out there in a friends garage for my 408 build. he tells me your car sounds good by the way

having been a painter and helper for over 10 years its been done many times. the problem you explain tends to happen from people who go overboard and want it done quickly rather than efficiently. they try to use grittier paper and tend to "sit" on spots with a da sander and heat it up so it gets chewed up easily.

OP. if you really want to do away with the spider webbing have the bumper stripped and re-painted. if you want to save on money do the work yourself. or go to a competent maaco and have them do it. (not all maacos are bad, the quality is reflected by the owners not the materials). my most recent bumper paint has been done by a maaco locally. they did the bumper off the car. i brought them a headlight door to match the bumper paint too. and they matched it perfectly, the bumper is flawless minus a spec of dirt or 2 which i can wetsand out and buff. and dirt can happen at any body shop.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
im going to disagree with you there. had my front bumper sanded down to the plastic and repainted 3 times....(1st was deer hit it, second was rock chips i wanted done away with and the third was paint cracked on the bottom due to my dumbass setting the front shocks too low and coming down hard from a 3.5' launch) still the original bumper and no complications other than a spec of dirt in the new paint. even shaved the rear bumper which needed to be stripped and re-painted once done. I can show you the bumpers if you like since you are in winchester and my car is currently out there in a friends garage for my 408 build. he tells me your car sounds good by the way

having been a painter and helper for over 10 years its been done many times. the problem you explain tends to happen from people who go overboard and want it done quickly rather than efficiently. they try to use grittier paper and tend to "sit" on spots with a da sander and heat it up so it gets chewed up easily.

OP. if you really want to do away with the spider webbing have the bumper stripped and re-painted. if you want to save on money do the work yourself. or go to a competent maaco and have them do it. (not all maacos are bad, the quality is reflected by the owners not the materials). my most recent bumper paint has been done by a maaco locally. they did the bumper off the car. i brought them a headlight door to match the bumper paint too. and they matched it perfectly, the bumper is flawless minus a spec of dirt or 2 which i can wetsand out and buff. and dirt can happen at any body shop.
I do it for a living. Until you've done it you don't know how long it takes. I'm pretty sure they did'nt strip your bumper. They sanded the crcked areas primed them and painted it.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do it for a living. Until you've done it you don't know how long it takes. I'm pretty sure they did'nt strip your bumper. They sanded the crcked areas primed them and painted it.
lol, i guess we've both had a bunch of different experiences with it. but as picky as i am about it. i showed up everyday to see the process. so i know they stripped it down. it wasnt just cracked areas.... it was entire chunks of paint missing.... any feathering you would be able to see it. pieces ranged from the size of a quarter to the size of my fist. so it absolutely needed to be stripped. there would have been no way to hide it. all for the low price of $425. for the work and base/clear.

still though you should swing by sometime and shoot the ****

Last edited by Raven02TA; 05-12-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

lol, i guess we've both had a bunch of different experiences with it. but as picky as i am about it. i showed up everyday to see the process. so i know they stripped it down. it wasnt just cracked areas.... it was entire chunks of paint missing.... any feathering you would be able to see it. pieces ranged from the size of a quarter to the size of my fist. so it absolutely needed to be stripped. there would have been no way to hide it. all for the low price of $425. for the work and base/clear.

still though you should swing by sometime and shoot the ****
Sure ..your not very far away. He would end up with about the same money in it. I get about 250-275 to paint a new bumper cover.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure ..your not very far away. He would end up with about the same money in it. I get about 250-275 to paint a new bumper cover.
sounds good mang. ill be out that way in a couple weeks so ill shoot you a pm and let you know before hand when ill be out there at my buddies place. going to remove a bunch of junk and prep the engine bay for paint that weekend.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Teching In

my bumper spidered and i just sanded it down to the plastic and painted it. took forever but worth saving the few extra bucks
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What grit and process (manual, electirc sander) did you all use to strip the paint or did you all use a chemical??
Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

sounds good mang. ill be out that way in a couple weeks so ill shoot you a pm and let you know before hand when ill be out there at my buddies place. going to remove a bunch of junk and prep the engine bay for paint that weekend.
Yea...hit me up
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkbird
What grit and process (manual, electirc sander) did you all use to strip the paint or did you all use a chemical??
I would'nt use stripper...that will f it up. I would use anything coarser than about 240 if you must strip it
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would'nt use stripper...that will f it up. I would use anything coarser than about 240 if you must strip it
agreed, i would hack most of it down with 180. then go 220 and 320.