Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Berger Panel Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011 | 04:03 AM
12 Second Club

Default Berger Panel Ideas

I am thinking about doing some work to my berger panel but I am curious about a few things and thought I would ask before I go digging into this thing and mess it up.

I am thinking about filling in the "CAMARO" and then cutting new custom lettering into the panel however it will be longer and cover areas that the "CAMARO" didnt. Is there enough material in the entire berger panel to cut a new set of letters in it??

Has anyone done anything like this before that can give some good input? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2011 | 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a total pain in the ***! haha Best method I can think of is cut the letters your want out of wood like Balsa. Glue them mirrored to a piece of plastic and cover it with filler primer. sand it all smooth and apply as many coats as it takes to get it perfect. Apply Sealer Primer to seal it all and paint it with whatever rattle can paint you have around. When it cures, grease it up with vasoline. Lay small pieces of fiberglass chop mat and carefully work it in the little spaces and gaps in the letters. When you've got all the gaps filled, apply a second layer and get all the bubbles out again. When it's hardened, carefully peel it off and you should have a panel with recessed letters. Cut it square and cut out that same size square from the berger panel. I'd use JBWeld to bond it initially in the seam and overlapping in the front. On the back side use more fiberglass to cover the seam and strengthen it. I suggest using Spotting and Glazing Putty to carefully fill any imperfections in the letters and a lightweight filler carefully applied to the front edge.

While this is a complicated process I think it's the way you'll get the best results. Simply cutting out or Dremeling out the letters in the panel just doesn't seem like it'll come out good at all.
Old 06-02-2011 | 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Someone on here cut out the camaro letters and put an led strip behind it with a clear plate. Looked pretty sweet. I was going to do something like that but i just filled the camaro and the trunk lock.
Old 06-02-2011 | 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

if I had a camaro I would smooth out the berger panel and just add black 5th gen camaro font. ...but if you wanna do it your way, theres a thread in this section where a guy dremeled chevrolet out of his door sill piece...ask him for the process and i'm sure you'll make out fine.

Quick Reply: Berger Panel Ideas