Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Metallic Flake in Clear

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Metallic Flake in Clear

I am getting ready to start my paint project next. I have a red 98 ws6 the paint could use some touch up. I am going to sand down and use the factory red, but for the clear, i orded a jar of candy apple red flakes to add into the first coat of clear. I want to use just enough so that you can see it in the but not enough to make it look too godly. Anyone used metallic flake in clear and had good luck with it.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

When you put it in the clear you can only use a percentage of flakes to clear probably around 10 % usually,when u put it on keep it stirred up as much as possible(every pass or so) or you'll have an uneven flake pattern.when I say stirred up I mean shake it in the paint gun in a quick circular motion,they make special guns for spraying flakes, but as long as u keep it stirred u will be fine.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

so when i am adding the flake, i add a bit more than i think, and the percentage that shows should be what i am looking for?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

also how many coats of clear(without flake) should be put on over the coat with the flake in it?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

You'll only b useing a small amount of flake ie if u have 10 oz of clear use 1 oz of flake or less,1-2 coats with flake till you get your desired look then 1-2 without,just be carefull about runs ect.,have u ever painted a car allover?according to how u paint I like to put 3 coats of clear on most allover jobs so theres enough material to cut n buff without cutting though as easy.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

i have painted my last project with good results, but of course that was a black car and like most black cars, that went very smooth. The red might be more of a challenge, but im hoping as long as i get the first coat of flake down, then the rest should go ok.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would put atleast 2 regular coats of clear over top of the flaked clear...if not more if you plan on wetsand and buffing...clear is a uv protectant and usually if there is something mixed in with the clear the sun can burn out whatever is in the clear...flakes...colors...pearls, ect....thats why you see alot of single stage colors become chalk after a couple years, but can still be buffed up....so thats something to think about

Quick Reply: Metallic Flake in Clear