Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Bare Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Bare Bumper

A couple of years ago I painted my car. It was a decent job for my first job. I have a few problems coming up and have some practice under my belt and needed help with a few questions. I have searched on here and googled the questions (most google results turn up urtehane instead of polyurethane). I also get the if you have this problem then use this and most of the posts go into so many ifs it gets confusing. This will be a bare bumper, no holes.

1) I had spider cracks before, sanded all the clear off and scuffed up the paint, painted over and re-cleared. The marks came back. I know now I need to sand the bumper down to the bare (no paint or anything). I've read on here I should use a 2k primer, I've read epoxy primer, and I've read use a 2k primer, sand, then epoxy primer over it. I need maximum adhesion as I had one or 2 small bubbles last time (due to poor prep work). Where I live, I scrape the bumper every so often and need something with flex. What should I use for primer, 2k, epoxy, or the mentioned combo?

2) PPG or Dupont better for our cars? I normally use PPG products, but Dupont has matched my paint color better previously. Sounds amateur I know, I was just curious.

3) Will the same adhesion promoter and/or primer work for the spoiler and t-top panel as the front bumper which I'm also sanding bare in spots?

4) I've had trouble with runs here and there, and have a theory I would like to try. Would it be safe in the long run to just mist around 7 medium coats (instead of the 2 light and 1 - 2 heavy coats) then sand and buff it to a shine? That way I will have enough clear coat to not worry about sanding through. I know I will have to let the car sit around 2 months before safely sanding it.

5) Lastly what is the easiest way to sane to the bare bumper? I haven't got a soda blaster, and do not know any shop that has one. I know I'm going to have to sand, but what's a safe grit so that I don't mess up the bumper?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

I went to a local body shop / paint supplier today and got an answer. Going to spray the bare bumper with Bull Dog Adhesion Promoter, Use Urethane 2k Primer Sealer, Basecoat, Clear Coat. Using Dupont, and as far as the buffing and thick clear coat, I'll have an answer after I try it. Also found bumper stripper safe for polyurethane.