Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need Help Trans Am hatch alignment!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need Help Trans Am hatch alignment!!

hi guys looking for some feedback on the alignment on my trans am after getting rear ended. I was rear ended at a light and there was no frame damage at all just the rear metal was pushed in about 8 inches. The car was fixed by a well known local shop under insurance and i thought the car would be restored to its previous condition. lol boy was i surprised at the outcome....

I first realized i had a large gap in between the taillights and the rear bumper which came to just be the rear bumper wasn't tightened down well and tails were tightened a little high. I fixed that myself and now that gap looks factory but the major problem is the hatch is sitting about 5 mm's high on the corner of the hatch/ rear glass (by the end of the door). As the hatch alignment grows closer to the rear end it slowly comes down to maybe only 1 mm above where it should be. The weird thing is the alignment of the sail panel to the rear glass is flush and as you run your finger down the gap towards the corner it slowly grows to the 5 mm's. I asked the guy what he could do to lower it but he said they spent hours trying to bring it down but who knows considering the gap of the tails/rear bumper i doubt it. I dont know if i should demand it to be fixed or just try and lower it myself. I feel if i drop it off i wont see the car for another week at their pace. Also the only noticable thing that i think may play a factor is the weather stripping around the hatch is brand new and in that corner it is very thick which may be pushing it up. Lastly i removed the rear bumpstops which didnt bring it down at all besdies only slighlty in the rear. So before i write a book on this lol please hepl me decide the next step bc i cant take looking in my side mirror and seeing the hatch abruptly appear over the quarter panel.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Pics please.

Quick Reply: Need Help Trans Am hatch alignment!!