Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sealer only, no primer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sealer only, no primer?

Just double checking. Want to apply sealer, wet sand & then paint. Anyone see a problem w/ this? Don't know why I'd absolutely need a primer first, then sealer. However, if something is being missed here, please let me now. Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would depend on the situation. Is the body nice and straight to begin with? If the body is straight and you're respraying the same color, I wouldn't seal it at all.

If it's straight and you're spraying a different color, prep per the sealers instructions and spray. Most of the time, you have a window where you can topcoat the sealer without any additional prep work. After a certain time span, you have to scuff or sand the sealer before topcoating. It depends on the brand of sealer.

If they body is wavy or you want to ensure it's very straight, I'd get a gallon of good 2K primer and prime and block the vehicle. You can then choose to seal it a different color afterward, to ensure a better base coverage. That's up to you.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Yah, we filled the waves w/ mud & after blocking were left w/ some bare metal, some mud & some primer; again after filling the waves. You're right though, I'm gonna re-prime, re-block & then seal for color, just to be sure that she's nice & straight.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you've already blocked it, then you can re-prime, wet sand and spray. I can totally understand wanting to re-prime, block, seal and spray though. It's up to you, friend. Have a good one!

Quick Reply: Sealer only, no primer?