Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wet sanding.....quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Wet sanding.....quick question

How many times can a double cleared paint job be wet sanded?

For when you get tiny scratches, water spots that will not go away, things like that.

I was polishing my car today and found a 1 inch long tiny scratch...can't feel it with my nail, but its easy to see. Stuff like that is what I;'m wondering about.

Also....can you just wet sand a small spot to remove a scratch, or do you have to do the entire car to make it look even?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to sand it out pretty easy, use a small soft wet sanding block with 2000 grit till it's gone just take it slow then buff.
If it's been painted, let dry sanded n recleared then you still need to becareful if you cut though the top clear you will see a ring their always and need to be recleared again to get rid of.but compound n polish will get out most small stuff for the scratches just do as I said above n you'll be fine, just take your time and be carefull (especially around body lines cause the clear is thinnest there) n you'll be fine.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
You should be able to sand it out pretty easy, use a small soft wet sanding block with 2000 grit till it's gone just take it slow then buff.
If it's been painted, let dry sanded n recleared then you still need to becareful if you cut though the top clear you will see a ring their always and need to be recleared again to get rid of.but compound n polish will get out most small stuff for the scratches just do as I said above n you'll be fine, just take your time and be carefull (especially around body lines cause the clear is thinnest there) n you'll be fine.
Cool, thanks. I think I'll get a price from a good shop first. But maybe I'll attempt it. I'd hate to mess it up

Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if you dont remove the scratch completely, just skimming over op of it with 2000 and polishing it out will make it much less visible...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whistler
Even if you dont remove the scratch completely, just skimming over op of it with 2000 and polishing it out will make it much less visible...
I'm a wuss...afraid I'll damage it. My new paint job is so damn beautiful and almost flawless......besides these few little friggin scratches.

A shop that wet sanded my entire car, who partners with the guy who painted it, said they will do the entire car for $300.00, then buff it all. But they'll just do it where it needs it. So I'll mark with yellow post-it notes everything I can find, then drop it off for 2 days.

Quick Reply: Wet sanding.....quick question