Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Tinted Taillight Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted Taillight Help

I bought a set of LT1 tails and plan on tinting them. I'm going to leave the reverse lights untinted, but I have a question on how to go about it. Should I sand the entire light (including the reverse), tape it off and tint, then clear the whole light, or just leave the reverse light alone all together and just sand/tint the red part?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Teching In

sand and clear the whole thing it will have a uniform look
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

I put clear on mine and it ended up ruining them... The had a frosted look on them so I stripped them and retinted and left the clear off but like said sand and then clear the while thing if that's the route your taking... I wet sanded to 1000 grit before spraying
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

yep i would wetsand the ENTIRE lens, mask off the area u want to remain untinted, tint, remove the tape and clear. for taping the area that u want left clear i would use 3m fine line tape. it will leave a cleaner, softer line.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Step 1 sand all areas with 1000 grit u intend to tint.
Step 2 spray a mist coat of the tint and follow up with 2 more even coats, allow each coat to flash.
Step 3 once the tint is dry apply a tack coat of clear
Let it flash and go ahead with second clear coat. Second coat should b a even
Coat.
Step 4 once clear is dry remove tape and enjoy ur tinted lights
Step 3
Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Tinting it and making them come out uniform especially if you want to keep the clear un-tinted then you might want to have someone do them for you that has some experience. If you sand too far down on the clear parts of the lens when you go to put tint or clear on it the paint is going to lift and wont accept paint. I learned that from experience.

I have tinted over 100 sets of tails/side/head lights and it can be really tricky especially if you don't have good quality tint and are going to use night shades and a clear that come pre-mixed in a can. Then if you don't know how to cut and buff them so they look perfect it can turn out disastrous.

I always take care of the guy's here on price when tinting so if you need some advice or want a pro job done for cheap I can give you a hand.

Quick Reply: Tinted Taillight Help