Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What paint would YOU use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What paint would YOU use?

So I am repainting my engine bay, pretty much got 75% of the paint removed. Just wondering which way I should take and what paint. I was originaly planning on spraying it with a primer then with duplicolor cans. But im considering purchasing a spray gun for our compressor and paint aswell. Bright rally red

So What paint / technique would u recommend I do. needs to look good around my new motor

Any advise would be great
Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

I powerwashed and cleaned my bay,welded all the seams under the hood and sanded real quick with 120 grit and shot it with por15 in a rattle can. Its held up to the heat from headers and its looks good cause black goes with everything.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

wtf me and my friend thought about that aswell, after lookin at their site I might consider it. Post pics of yours if u can. Do you think it would be fine to apply it directly over old paint? Curious to see what it looks.like under the hood
Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

I would sand it down with 220/320, hit the bare metal with rattle can self etching primer, get some PPG "shopline" (the cheap stuff) epoxy primer 1 pint, body color base 1 pint, and their "general purpose JC60" clear 1 pint. Pick up a cheap HVLP gun, take it all the way apart, soak it in thinner/reducer, spray a decent amount of thinner through the gun, and spray away. Before you spray degrease the hell out of the bay with "prep all" or similar, tack rag it, and practice on a piece of plywood or sheet metal of cardboard or something to make sure you have a decent hang of it. I did that and it cost me right at $150 not including the gun (~$30 if you go cheap), it will look better than rattle can I promise, and body color just looks soooo much better in the engine bay IMO. If you wanted to spend less, a one stage paint may be a better choice

- oh yeah you need a water filter inline before the spray gun too
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Dont laugh at the purple motor(i didnt put it there) and I really dont hae a picture of it painted up close. If I can remember I will snap one this weekend. The POR15 in a rattle can just requires a quick scuffing of the old paint and shoot it. It lays nice flat and smooth. Dont get it on your hands.....**** wont come off.

Before

After

Dustin

Last edited by 1badeagle; 01-19-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: What paint would YOU use?