Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Side Molding Adhesive Showing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Molding Adhesive Showing?

Hi all, this is my first post, I'm psyched to have joined up. I've been checking LS1Tech for awhile to find answers to basic questions about my '99 Z28, but can't seem to find an answer to this one, so I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts

It looks like (and this is just my uneducated guess) the adhesive that holds the side moldings on is showing -- like maybe the previous owner removed the moldings, then put them back on (to sell the car, or repaint the doors) but was sloppy with the adhesive -- is that what this is?

Side Molding Adhesive Showing?-z28-side-molding-1.jpg

If so, is this something a detail can fix? Just washing hasn't worked. If I remove the moldings, which I've been thinking about doing anyway, should I be worried about what's under there, given that this adhesive (or whatever it is) is white and the car is black? Worst case scenario, could this be a problem with my paint? Shoot, hope not, but better to know than keep wondering. As I say, any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

looks like it. from the factory they are held with double sided 3m molding tape so i dont know why it has what looks to be overspray.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard!
If I were you I'd take off those moldings. Once you get those off you will have a better idea what problem, if any, are underneath the molding. Just do a search on how to take off side molding. You can always put them back on if you decide to
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I think that's what I'll do -- just take the moldings off and then see if I can remove the overspray by following the general directions for removing adhesive from the paint. Fingers crossed
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 AM
12 Second Club

Looks kinda like leftover wax that wasn't completely removed try using a clean soft bristled toothbrush to remove it
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm taking off my side molding soon.

Quick Reply: Side Molding Adhesive Showing?