Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

repainting front bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default repainting front bumper.

I recently picked up some duplicover perfect match (gm met. silver) and duplicolor primer to repair some surface rust under my car. I was very surprised with how close the match actually is and i tested it on my license plate cover and to the naked eye its incredibly close. Some one gave my car a love tap on the front bumper completely chipping away and cracking some paint. I want to try the duplicolor perfect match as a temporary repair because anything will look better than it does now. I want to paint my whole front bumper, i will be rattle canning it.

My question is what steps such as sand paper grit should I use to prep it? Can I sand it by hand or should I use a sander or blocks? I will prime it with filler sandable primer and clearing it. Will this be a decent result until I can get the whole car painted?

paint is chipping away bad and a lot of the black bare bumper is showing.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably start with a 120 grit flexable sanding block. Knock off all the loose paint and rough up the surface. Hit it with some high build primer surfacer and go back over it with a 180 flexable block.

You may have to repeat this a time or two to get the paintless areas built back up to the painted areas.

Once happy hit it with 220 than 320 and if you want 400. Mask, tack and paint many light to medium coats. Don't know if were spraying a clear or not.

Just my opinion but what the **** do I know.

Quick Reply: repainting front bumper.