Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

to wrap or not to wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to wrap or not to wrap?

so my paint is in 7\10 condition after receiving couple of scratches here and there from the damn kids who play around the neighborhood ( i live in an apartment since its closer to collage)....ive been thinking of a repaint but i dont really feel like spending 1000K on paint and same story will happen again...so ive checked some auto shops and got deals on vinyl wrap for 300-500$ with a year warranty what ever that means lol...i was thinking of flat grey or flat orange but i thought i get some opinions first...what do you guys think? ive got wheels, tires and exhaust waiting to be installed too...car is black and paint is in an okay condition..no one really can notice those tiny scratches but it really gets on my nerve worth spending it on vinyl wrap?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you have a few scratches that only you will notice? I completely understand how those will drive you crazy, but I would cherish that black gloss as long as you can. Is there no way to buff out the other scratches? I would only default to a vinyl wrap when your paint is shot... I have seen some pretty bad wraps and most of them are pretty low budget.. $500 seems too good to be true

But if you must go with flat black or dark grey. not orange
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The wrap would be cool, but that price sounds low. Make sure they know what they are doing and what brand of material they are using. There are a couple guys on here that do wraps. Their work looks bad a$$, and I can guarantee it's more than $500. Warranty doesn't mean much if you have to go back multiple times to have it "fixed". Having the car buffed and detailed would be worth a shot first.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with wrap, but not for $500...im a firm believer on "you get what you pay for"
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Captain Double Post

500 for a wrap is a joke, thats way to cheap, do some detail work,a few scratches isnt worth wraping the car over
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

I just picked up a 2000 Black T/A. Paint scratches some dings and many front pebble chips. Went to APE paint store, bought me a cheap AMD Buffer Kit for about $100, a small bottle of 3m rubbing compound, and 3M Finesse it II, several sheets of 1500 and 2000 and a pre mixed bottle of touch up paint. Remarkable difference in general appreance of car.

Always stay away from the edges and wet sand the scratches (with small pad) and perimeter with 1500, then 2000. Use the dense pad with the rubbing compound with speed setting on 1 (a very safe setting for an rooky like me). Then buff a second time with the darker less dense foam pad using the Finess II polish, Wax and admire your work!

Note: Touch up and chip with the touch up paint a couple days prior then you can sand and buff and blend. You will have enough material to get any of the original paints orange peal off of the panels in this process if you choose.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Captain Double Post

I dont advise telling anyone to wetsand there car that has no clue in what there doing, you can do way more harm then good

Quick Reply: to wrap or not to wrap?