Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repaintnig red to black spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaintnig red to black spoiler

I was NOT going to repaint myself. Spoiler is like new cond. What grades of paper should i use to start & end with to have it resprayed to black. All it really needs is just a skuff to make primer or color stick.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

It's always better to let the shop do the prep work. If there ever is a problem later it will warranted
Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

YUP. Thats what son inlaw told me also when i asked him. Its his friends shop thats doing the job. Thanks for your reply!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Yea let them handle it. Most likely they will sand down with 320, prime. 500 then 600. Base then clear. May have some pine holes to fill after sanding. That's the proper way, you want to get ride of the old material.. Most shops may just buzz the clear with 800 then do the black base then clear.. Later on when it chips ( and it will ) you wil see red
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
Yea let them handle it. Most likely they will sand down with 320, prime. 500 then 600. Base then clear. May have some pine holes to fill after sanding. That's the proper way, you want to get ride of the old material.. Most shops may just buzz the clear with 800 then do the black base then clear.. Later on when it chips ( and it will ) you wil see red
what in the world? its a spoiler, why would it chip? also, why would you prime a like new part?

All the body shop will do is sand it with 600 grit, scuff it, and paint it. Although really simple, there are still plenty of ways to screw it up. This goes with any type of paint work, a paint job is only as good as the prep work. Always spend the extra money to have someone knowledgeable do the work if you haven't done it before.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

priming fills the ponholes. i just had my SS wind and spoiler resprayed. the clear was failing so it had to be sanded down completely. and the primer filled in any messups in the base... its best to do it that way.

Quick Reply: Repaintnig red to black spoiler