Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repaint NBM

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Repaint NBM

Looking to get my car repainted in a few months, but can't decide on the color. I do know that I don't want to do a complete color change, so I'd want the new paint to blend pretty well with the factory paint in areas we can't easily reach.

If I could take all the purple sheen out of the factory NBM paint it'd be pretty close to what I want. When it was partially repainted & blended by a local body shop a few years ago (due to an accident), the old paint was lighter (and preferred) to the new paint when viewed side-by-side. Looking at it that way, I prefer the slightly faded version of the factory NBM paint to what was used during the repair. Just looking for a dark metallic blue that still looks blue at night under lights and would blend well without a change. Not sure on large vs fine metallic flakes, leaning towards fine.

I was on the HoK site and looked at candy cobalt, marine blue, majik blue, cortez blue and midnite blue. But their color samples didn't match as well as the cars painted with them, imho. Suggestions?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive always liked spraying HOK products, although i never say no to a ppg or omni. Cobalt blue IMO is a very nice popular color.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There were 2 shades of nbm offered in late 97. The early 98's did not have the pearl hue in the paint, at least mine didn't.

My ta had a sept build date, the camaro is November of 97 if I remember correctly. Something about phasing out the purple metallic color with the new nbm color

Hard to tell but it didn't have the flake in it so it would appear slightly darker in direct sunlight

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd have to dig out my factory build sheet to recall when mine was built, but I know I bought it new in September '98. You're saying that it's the pearl hue which generates the purple coloration at certain angles and lighting? Any chance they are different paint codes?

These kinda caught my attention, although it's apparently Sherwin Williams and I don't know if that's any good.
Black & Blue: http://www.planetcolor.com/color/det...rtNumber=PCS12
Nautical: http://www.planetcolor.com/color/det...rtNumber=PCSL8
Black Sapphire: http://www.planetcolor.com/color/det...artNumber=PCS2
Frozen Arctic Blue: http://www.planetcolor.com/color/det...rtNumber=PCJ56

For HoK, I like these color samples, but when I see HoK colors actually on a car they never seem to match the sample.
http://www.houseofkolor.com/shimrin2...c-kolors.html?
S2-KBC13
S2-PBC103
S2-PBC104
HOK0054-01
HOK0354-01
HOK0505-0
HOK0533-00
HOK0537-00
HOK0544-00
HOK0547-00
HOK1044-00
HOK1054-00

These also look nice to me:
Chevy Indigo Blue
Porsche Midnight Blue Metallic

Most other dark blue metallics I've seen either aren't dark enough or don't have the deep, rich, wet look I desire. While I don't want to be disappointed in the color match, I also want ease of maintenance as well. I've heard that candy paints are tough to apply/maintain and I don't want to deal with that.

Last edited by JimMueller; 03-09-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its real hard to tell colors from a chip,or even as bad from a complete car
as technique air pressure temperature all have effects.
Personally I loved my 02 in NBM.
resprayed and blended parts and couldnt tell it.
Yes it does have alot of pearl but thats what makes the color shift.
Wasnt aware of any that didnt have metallics in it.
If you use a coarser metallic it will change the whole look.
just remember to have plenty mixed for later touch ups
Old 03-09-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

ToplessHO - I've never been crazy about the color shift though is the thing. I see you're in Orlando, can you make any recommendations on good paint/body shops? I have some other items that could use some TLC besides paint. Whistler did great work years ago but I don't think he's into bodywork any longer.

Quick Reply: Repaint NBM