Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Formula rear wing removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Formula rear wing removal?

Has anyone ever pulled the rear wing off a formula?

I want to keep my OEM wing intact. So I want to grab one in the scrap yard off a V6 and modify it.

My goal is to make a rear spoiler like the 2014 Z28 for a racing event I plan to enter and want to build some down force.

Also planning on the same for a donor front end to do a splitter with brake ducts in the fogs for it.

I know how to do the front, but need help on the rear wing. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

in for results , but isnt the spoiler on the formula and v6 birds one piece , its not like the trans am spoiler that can be unbolted from the decklid.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Your going to be forced to purchase an entire hatch assembly from a v6 car. The rears decks are make of SMC like the roof and bonded to the hatch frame with adhesive. In the case of the low rise Firebird spoiler, the top portion also forms the channel around the lower hatch glass, so even it were removable you'd need to take the hatch glass to get it off.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks, I had a feeling it might be that way.

So this way I can get some speed glass as well and shave a few more pounds off along with a spoiler.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
So this way I can get some speed glass as well and shave a few more pounds off along with a spoiler.
Great thinking there Plus since a spare hatch for track days you can be more liberal accessing the hallow portion inside the spoiler. I say that not knowing how you were going to attach the wicker bill. Given its purpose the mounting will have to be fairly well thought out. It appears GM uses Im assuming a metal pad with a threaded hole thats molded into the spoiler, given you cant just thread a nut directly into the spoiler and expect any longevity.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:21 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Great thinking there Plus since a spare hatch for track days you can be more liberal accessing the hallow portion inside the spoiler. I say that not knowing how you were going to attach the wicker bill. Given its purpose the mounting will have to be fairly well thought out. It appears GM uses Im assuming a metal pad with a threaded hole thats molded into the spoiler, given you cant just thread a nut directly into the spoiler and expect any longevity.
I was thinking aluminum backing plates with Rivetnuts to go through the wing and the added sheet/plate.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Your going to be forced to purchase an entire hatch assembly from a v6 car. The rears decks are make of SMC like the roof and bonded to the hatch frame with adhesive. In the case of the low rise Firebird spoiler, the top portion also forms the channel around the lower hatch glass, so even it were removable you'd need to take the hatch glass to get it off.
Am I reading this correctly? In order to remove the spoiler, you have to remove the glass too?

Quick Reply: Formula rear wing removal?