Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint job quote

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint job quote

So I got a quote today to paint my car ($3200), full paint job, lifetime warranty on the work. Was curious what others have paid to have theirs done and if you all think this is a fair price. Believe it or not it was kind of tough to even find someone that would just paint a car w/o having to do body work/insurance work. Obv there are cheaper routes, but you get what you pay for.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Launching!

sounds better than most, most people say paintjobs with 10 year warranties for around 4k are what they get.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming this is just spraying over the old/existing color on the car? No way youd get a price like that with complete actual prep.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I'm assuming this is just spraying over the old/existing color on the car? No way youd get a price like that with complete actual prep.
From how our conversation went, price includes disassembly (trunk,hood, bumpers, doors ,etc...new emblems and complete paint job with the lifetime guarantee on the work as long as I own the car. I have a small dent in one of the rocker panels as well as driver side rear quarter. Those will be taken care of as well. He said it would take him about two weeks to get the car back to me.

From the responses here, I'm beginning to think I'm getting a solid deal. He actually painted my old IROC after an accident back when I was just out of high school and it was nice work. I didn't realize the same guy owned the place I had gone to for the quote a couple of days ago.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

its a good deal, but i can tell you its incredibly easy to cut corners on paint, and theres no such thing as a lifetime warranty on paint, maybe on paint defects caused by him, but paint will not last a lifetime.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
its a good deal, but i can tell you its incredibly easy to cut corners on paint, and theres no such thing as a lifetime warranty on paint, maybe on paint defects caused by him, but paint will not last a lifetime.
Exactly. If you get a rock chip and the old paint color shows through, I highly doubt thatd be covered by warranty. Same with door dings, shopping carts, ect.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Exactly. If you get a rock chip and the old paint color shows through, I highly doubt thatd be covered by warranty. Same with door dings, shopping carts, ect.

Well sure, that would be expected, but as far as the job itself is concerned. I really don't expect the paint to "last a lifetime". Premature fading, clear coat issues, etc would be covered according to him. He does good work and has painted one of my cars before and it looked great. He managed to win over my dad back in high school after he did my IROC and my pops would nit pick ANYTHING.

I actually thought $3200 was kind of high, I had 2500ish in my mind for a decent job. You get what you pay for though I guess.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Launching!

been painting for 23 years, that is a very fair price. Damn near a third of that will be materials if using name brand products.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SnakeEaterSS

I actually thought $3200 was kind of high, I had 2500ish in my mind for a decent job. You get what you pay for though I guess.

I guess it also depends how **** and attentive to detail you are too. I'd never paint a car personally without pulling the engine, interior, drivetrain, weatherstripping, ect so that they entire car can actually be painted.

Nothing looks more half-assed and cheap to me than a miss-colored engine bay, overspray on weatherstripping with a different color underneath that shows when its slightly colder outside, or an underbody that's blue on an orange car.

Incredibly reputable body shops I've got quotes from were around $7500, but that's to do a job like it came from the factory (the only way to go in my opinion).
Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

I guess it also depends how **** and attentive to detail you are too. I'd never paint a car personally without pulling the engine, interior, drivetrain, weatherstripping, ect so that they entire car can actually be painted.

Nothing looks more half-assed and cheap to me than a miss-colored engine bay, overspray on weatherstripping with a different color underneath that shows when its slightly colder outside, or an underbody that's blue on an orange car.

Incredibly reputable body shops I've got quotes from were around $7500, but that's to do a job like it came from the factory (the only way to go in my opinion).
Very true, but there is no way on god's green earth I'm dropping $7500 on paint. I'm not looking to put it shows or anything of the sort, just need to clean up the blemishes she has and then some. I cringe every time I see the clear coat on my passenger side door flake more and the scrapes on the front clip among others. Don't wanna "maaco" job, but don't want to get naucious knowing I sunk that much $$ on paint. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a 8K paint job on my car!! lol
Old 05-11-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think is a very good deal. Change a color in a car is a lot harder than just repaint it with the same color.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Teching In

If its a quality job, thats a good price.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Id say go for it...I got quoted 6000 grand to repaint the car the same color silver in Wyoming so i said f that ill give it a shot myself later on the road. when i get all the supplies that i need
Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by balboa25
Id say go for it...I got quoted 6000 grand to repaint the car the same color silver in Wyoming so i said f that ill give it a shot myself later on the road. when i get all the supplies that i need
If you don't have a mass amount if experience with laying paint I would say that's a horrible idea..
Old 10-12-2014, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMsfinest
I rattled caned a jeep back in the day total cost 90 bucks with sand paper and it turned out flawless 100% even went over everything trim and handles sold the car year and a half later and it looked as amazing as the day i did it...so pissed I sold it
Like was said before....it all depends how **** one person is in relation to the next.......flawless to one can be total **** to another.... and vice/versa
Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

These number are starting to scare me

I want to paint my whole car
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

That's a very fair price for a paint job.. He could be easily spending over 1k on materials.. Depending on what products are being used.. I would say go for it if you are happy with the work that you have seen him do.

Quick Reply: Paint job quote