Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Minor accident, which parts to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor accident, which parts to replace?

Hey all,

Had a bit of a minor accident on the way in to work this morning. I would like to repair the damage myself, if possible, and avoid a costly insurance hike. It looks to me like I just need to replace the front-right quarter panel, but thought I should come here and see what y'all think, since I really don't know much about body work. Really just looking to find out what parts I need to start looking for, and some good sources. Picture attached showing the damage. It still runs fine; I'm gonna do a quick alignment check on the way home, but everything felt fine. So I think it's just appearances. I hope so, at least.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not an expert on body work, but I'm sure that panel needs to be replaced.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Well... yes. I'm trying to figure out what that is underneath it though. Is it the bumper support that wraps around the car, or a separate piece that I can remove and replace? I'm at work and haven't had a chance to closely look at the damage yet, so I only have that picture for reference.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

the damaged part behind the FENDER (not quarter panel) are basically the front "frame rails", short of cutting/welding and frame machines you aren't replacing that and probably don't need to, it's not like anyone is going to know that it's rippled under the fender, as long as it didn't push in beyond the outer skin layer (which would become evident when putting a new fender in place as the gap between hood and fender would be tighter) I wouldn't try to fix it, the cost is beyond worth it, especially if the alignment is good (including CASTER, which typically can't be adjusted).
Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Oh alright then, that sounds good. So assuming that the only damage is what's visible here, it should be an easy fix. Just the fender (thank you for the clarification) and mounting hardware? Shouldn't be too bad. Now just to find one that's already Sebring Silver. The search begins.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

my buddy busted the fender on his firebird in a similar way and dented that part behind it, he NEVER fixed it, all the way up to when the repo company took the car and he drove it all the time, so yeah as long as it aligns I wouldn't be worried about it. I would just watch for abnormal tire wear on that corner that would be a sign of out of spec caster that would indicate that rail was pushed in and not just dented.

if it is pushed in then you need a frame shop to fix it and thats not worth paying out of pocket for.

Quick Reply: Minor accident, which parts to replace?