Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Panel Bond and floor pans

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Panel Bond and floor pans

So a few years back, I noticed that I had a rust hole in the right/rear floor pan, roughly where the passenger foot fell is. The rust wasn't bad at the time, but I know with it sitting for a while, it has gotten worse. I ignored it at the time primarily because I lived in an apartment and I would have seriously stressed out about it if I chose to actually care at the time.

Fast forward to now, I have a house with a garage, and I'm in the planning stages of getting some work done to this car. The car has 211K miles, and it's far from pristine, but still decent enough to put back together.

The reason for this topic is that I've found floor pans available. I did an *** load of reading on install methods, and found that some people have been using adhesives in addition to other mechanical methods to secure the panels.

My thought is to cut out the rusted area, and provided that the the patch is larger than the hole, leaving a 1/2"-1" overlap. Then drilling pilot holes around the panel, laying a healthy bead of the panel adhesive, and using self tapping screws to mechanically secure the patch until the adhesive cures. Once cured, grinding the heads and remainder of the screws flush with the metal. Then follow it with seam sealer, and proper(ish) paint and prep.

I'm just curious to know if anyone here has done anything similar to this, or has experience with this.

Quick Reply: Panel Bond and floor pans