Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to convert to Targa top

Old 10-22-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default How to convert to Targa top

So my next project on my car is going to be targa top conversion, using the 6LE Carbon Fiber top. I've searched and found a few random old posts, but not much in the way of details in one place. I can weld and paint, so I am doing this project myself. I want to try to keep as much structural stiffness, or even improve it if possible, since I do autocross and plan on starting doing some occasional road racing as well. What in the subframe needs to be stiffened to do this, just subframe connectors, or are there any other parts that I can strengthen while under there? As far as the front headliner, I assume that a front headliner from a convertible could be used, and just modify the rear headliner? for the water channels, I was thinking using the channels from the removed t-bar and welding them in to complete the new channels? What else am I missing or needs to be done here? I want to make sure that I do this right.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your in for a big project. Im currently working on my third one. Each one has been different. As for the channels i just used the ones from the center that were cut out. The subframe connectors i found work the best are the ones from midwest. I usually jist modify the headliner from a ttop car. Make sure you have the subframe connectors in before you cut the center brace. The midwest subframe connectors are welded in and truly connect the actuale subframes of the car. The 6le top dos t fit perfect and usually needs to be modified slightly for a good fit. Im about to take off so nn ill respond more to this thread when o have more time. But this should get you started in the right direction..
Old 10-22-2017, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I figured that it would be a fairly involved project, but I think the end result is going to be worth it, not only from the uniqueness factor but also from having the fully open top. Now that the drivetrain and suspension is where I want it, with the exception of a 8.8 or 12-bolt. I plan on doing quite a bit to restore and upgrade the car visually, both externally and interior as well, and this is where I plan on starting out. I appreciate the advice and welcome any further advice, or input that people who have done this project can add.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, so 6LE no longer has the targa tops . So my next question is, can a factory hardtop panel work as a replacement?
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

i just sold my targa top, couldn't come to cutting my t top my friend has already done 6 successful targa tops on abodes i can put u in contact with him
Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone on suggestions for the targa panel to use since the 6LE carbon and fiberglass panels are no longer an option?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Any updates on any available targa top panels for sale or options for creating my own panel? I know its been a year, but just now getting around to actually starting the project. I just ordered the subframe connectors and as soon as they are welded on I am getting started on cutting the t-bar out.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Go to a salvage yard and cut off the roof from a hardtop car
Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Go to a salvage yard and cut off the roof from a hardtop car
Thats what I’ll probably end up doing as a temporary solution, but since it’s just thin sheet metal, it’s going to need a lot of additional bracing to be remotely sturdy at speed.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

It's not sheet metal it's fiberglass. Also you will be attaching your ttop rails and hardware which will add strength.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

One of the old posts I read on this, Whistler said that the factory roof skin is very thin and flimsy and starts to lift/buffet at even neighborhood speeds without additional reinforcement. However I may try to find one as a starting piece.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to convert to Targa top