Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Replacing seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing seats

I have a 98 Z28 that I am restoring. It sat in the Florida sun for the better part of the last 10 years. It was also rained in more than once as the passenger window was stuck half way up for a while. The seats are not ripped or torn(cloth) anywhere however due to the reclining mechanism not working properly, fear of mold from having been rained in multiple times, and the tracks on the bottom being pretty rust I’m opting to just replace the seats altogether...if I can find them. Where can I look to try and find replacement seats ? The carpet which I was able to find a new aftermarket replacement for has already been ordered.

Thanks

Last edited by Slowmaster28; 06-06-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Misworded
Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Don't completely get new seats, take these out of your car and haul them to an automotive upholstery shop. They can take the seats down to the springs and frame, replace the foam and recover the seats in whatever fabric you desire. Figure a few hundred bucks each in time and materials and this is much easier than attempting to find seats that fit the bolt holes in your floor. And I will predict that your rusty seat tracks will clean up in a bead blaster plenty good enough for repaint and reuse.

I'd be more worried about the floor sheet metal rusting through than the seats.

Rick
Old 06-09-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It used to be easy to hit a junkyard and score a good pair of seats but that's getting harder to do.

Hawk's Motorsports has a nice selection of take out 4th gen seats. They also sell all of the items needed to restore your seats like the other poster mentioned. Hawk's has a lot of 4th gen parts that can come in handy for a restoration project, including donor cars.

Hawk's did the restoration on my 91 RS Camaro.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have contacted Hawks and will pretty much be replacing the entire interior, minus the seats with parts from them. Was super helpful to have been able to find all the parts not to mention finding them all in one place.