Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Paint

What should a good paint job cost? Very minimal body work would need to be done if that.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

5k easy, more if it's a color change. Hard bullet to bite.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Depends on where you live and what color you want. I've seen decent paint jobs for 3k and I've seen ones that run 20k. I've actually seen a few surprisingly good diy jobs first hand, but the amount of practice it takes to get there makes it impractical for almost everyone.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I recently paid $2600 for a basic metallic paint job (Deep Ocean Blue Metallic) on my 70 El Camino here in Shreveport, Louisiana. - Sherwin Williams was the paint used. This was paint, clear and all shop materials and was the basic cost but I did have them do some minor door and hood filler work. All in all, tax included, I got out the door for around $3300. This was done at a shop that has insurance repair work as its primary moneymaking effort but they did agree to do this job as long as I was not in a hurry to get it back - it took them about three weeks. This was not what anybody can say is a "MAACO paint job" or something from Earl Scheib.

It was a very good paint job. Not perfect, not show or museum quality. Plenty good enough for a cruiser. But also know that they did not have to do ANY dis-assembly or re-assembly for this price. That would have increased the price considerably but I can do all of that work for the savings.

Rick
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Typically between $4-6k for a decent job that would resemble factory paint quality.

Color change more, major damage repair more, disassemble/reassemble more, stripping the paint more.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to many variables but most this guys are right id say bare minimum for halfway OK job is $2k
Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 282 Likes on 214 Posts

So I did a frame off of my 68 C10 SWB last winter. I totally stripped the cab and front sheet metal myself down to bare metal. No rust CA truck but a whole bunch small dents. I was lucky to find a local body shop the let me bring in all the pieces and they supervised me doing the body work. Skim coat sanding. Poly coat sanding. Two rounds of 2K sanding. The body shop did all the painting. color sanding and buffing. My cost was to the body shop was $5500 for time and materials. Turned out very nice.
I would be wary of shops that will work on your car as they have time. Insurance work makes the shop very good money and your project isn't.
Just my .02