Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

1998 Trans Am Bumper Sagging

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1998 Trans Am Bumper Sagging

I have a hideous gap between the hood and the bumper on either side of the headlights as shown in the pic. Its large enough to stick a finger in. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. I have completely re-assembled the front end and the only thing that is missing are some of the headlight brackets that connect to the radiator support and the fender. Is it possible that those are causing this?

Would replacing the bumper brackets that are riveted on help or could the bumper cover just be deformed? It also seems like it interferes with the fog lights if I try to shift it to the correct location (forcing it upward).

It really seems like all of the stuff to mount the top of the bracket needs to shift up 2-3 inches, but there is literally no way for that to move that much.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You say you reassembled the whole front end. Was this because of a collision? Was the gap there before disassembly?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drdave88
You say you reassembled the whole front end. Was this because of a collision? Was the gap there before disassembly?
It’s been this way the whole time I’ve owned it. It was a cheap low mileage car. I think I’ve nailed it down to the front frame rails being pushed down. I think theres been a bad repair. The good news is the damage is in front of the wheels and doesn’t affect drivability.

Does anyone have an image looking down the inside of the frame rail for me to compare with. I’m thinking about just getting it straightened and living with it since it’s so minor and the car is mechanically perfect drivetrain wise.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I can get a picture later if no one gets one. I have the front end of mine torn apart right now.