Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Parbreak: which paint set to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parbreak: which paint set to buy?

I am an airbrush artist and work with createx acrylics on canvas and paper. Now, I am wanting to learn the art form of automotive painting and want to start out small. First, what do you suggest I practice on that will be cheap? Second, I am looking at this gun set, what do you think? http://www.ketone.com/ I was looking at getting a HOK color set in 4oz base coats, but it is $100. How do you feel about auto air colors? I can get a lot more for my $ to practice on. I believe these are also ready to roll out of the bottle. THanks for any help. Others feel free to chime in too.

thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

oh, btw...I have an Iwata HP-C Revolution airbrush...I was told it was able to spray automotive paint, a pretty versatile gun...is this true, b/c once I throw the base down, I would love to experiement with airbrushing automotive paint. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

talk to tumblrws6
Old 01-26-2007, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

That gun set looks perfectly fine to start out with. You'll probably find as you get better you'll want to upgrade at least the basecoat/clearcoat gun to a better model.

I can't speak to AutoAir colors as I have not shot them. I shoot only 2K paints, whereas these are waterborne paints. That being said they are a lot less dangerous on your lungs. My understanding is they are mainly used for graphics on other basecoats. You would need to buy a LOT of 4 oz. bottles to do an entire car.

Best thing to practice on I've found is simply get yourself a 2'X2' piece of metal and prime it and use it as a test panel. I keep one here all the time and try out new colors, etc. on it to see how it will look.

I'm sure your gun will shoot auto paint easily, most do if the paint is reduced enough.

Bryan
parbreak