Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need painting tips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need painting tips!!!

Alright today I'm gonna try to paint the bumper on my brothers truck. It is a 98 Dodge Dakota with a black,metal bumper in the front. He wants me to paint it so it will be glossy like the paint on the truck. How do you recommend I do this? I will be using regular rattle can paint. Should I just spray it with clear or just spray it with gloss black? Or should I do the whole thing with primer, black, and then clear? It is a bare metal bumper. Let me know because I want to do this today!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with just rattle can clear or gloss paint you will not get a shine on the bumper like the rest of the truck, but it will look better than nothing. as far as painting the bumper you need to gat a red scotch brite pad from a oriely's or somewere and scuff the bumper so that the paint will stick and not flake off when washed. as far as paint i would use gloss black to hide any chips or marks that the clear will not cover. unless there is major chips or scractes there is no need to prime. good luck with the paint job