Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Scratch cover up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch cover up?

I have a scratch in my quarter panel that goes down to the primer about 1'' long. I have a show I'm going to be in and want to know if there is a quick temporary fix so you can't see the white primer scratch on my black Camaro. Thanks, Steve.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

There is some goo dstuff made by 3M, i dont know if it would work for you, but i used swirl mark remover, and a cheap buffer, and took some of my heavier scratches out,,,my car is blue, so the white showed up pretty good,,,,the 3M stuff took it away,,,you cant tell there was a scratch at all. Like i said, dont know if it will work for you and your scratch,,,but it worked wonders on mine. I did invest about an hour of buffing on each one to get rid of them
Old 03-20-2007, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor

No, there's no way you an buff this one out. I bumped my sharp metal seat bracket against it while I was fitting the seats. It's deep. Thanks though, anyone else??
Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The best you're going to be able to do for a quick fix (since you can't buff it out) would be to buy a Scratch Fix 2in1. It has a brush but also a pen thing that you can use for scratches. See what happens.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
FormerVendor

I was wondering if I could use a black crayon... maybe too hard to remove though.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use a crayon. You can pick up a great duplicolor pen from autozone that will blend pretty well. if you have ***** enough, you could wet sand the area after you pen it. A lot of guys do that and it turns out great. But if you have the *****..
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

black crayon will fill it.. but it wont match at all.. it'll still be fairly visible.. i'd say go for the paint pen for short term... only problem with that is those touchup paints usually dont have hardner in them.. which is what gives paint its longevity... if you wanna get crazy.. we have some Preval units that allow you to mix up paint with reducer and a little hardner in a small jar and use a "power unit" to basically turn any paint into a spray can (http://www.prevalspraygun.com/about.htm)
so it'll allow you to get the exact color you want.. instead of being limited to what the store has in stock in the paint pens.

it actually works a lot better than you'd think.. plus it allows you to mix hardner in with the paint to make a more durable finish... and you can even do clearcoar that way too.. its not gonna look perfect but it'll be more durable
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I'll look for a paint pen tomorrow. Anything is better than white primer!!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They make color match waxes with a crayon in them worked well when I had a red car it does wear off though and must be reapplied..

Quick Reply: Scratch cover up?