Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

want to remove powdercoat

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Default want to remove powdercoat

Hi, I have a set of wheels and it has powdercoat on there.i wanted to know how to remove the powdercoat finish. What do i use? Please help
Old 05-15-2007 | 05:44 PM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

Basically, the best way to remove powdercoat is to burn it off with a torch. It does not have to be on really high, just enough to reach the temp where it will burn and flake off. Powder cures around 400 degrees or something like that, yet will burn off at a higher temp. This is the reason that you should not powder pieces exposed to high temp heat. The other way is sandblast, but most sandblasters charge double for powder as it is a lot tougher to get off than paint. If you are going to re powder them , you do not have to strip them, just rough them up, and shoot them again. I had my lawn mower powdered twice, and it has been fine for 2 years. The only problem with doing them in 2 layers is the powder will be significantly thicker and may produce somewhat of a slightly wavy finish. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-16-2007 | 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

And for a slightly less invasive and dangerous method, you can use Aircraft Stripper available at most auto stores.
Old 05-16-2007 | 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Will the paint stripper mess up polished aluminum?
Old 05-16-2007 | 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Mess it up as in eating away the aluminum? No. It's meant for stripping paint and finished off metal. Mess it up as in it might need a little Mother's aluminum polish to brighten it up? Probably.

Bryan
parbreak