Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

A shine from the very beginning...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A shine from the very beginning...

Monday Morning I'm taking the Z to my uncle's body shop and polishing it out. I completely wetsanded and bufffed the car about a year ago and its time to touch it up a bit. So here we are, a car with about 3 year old paint sitting in my garage. What would you guys do to get the ultimate shine out of this paint? What brand of polishing compounds? Buffer Speed? Etc? I have access to all tools and equipment and cost is not an issue, I just want smooth as *** paint that looks awesome. If I need to claybar or anything I need to know. So lets hear what ya'll have to say here.

Also is there a way to polish glass? I have strange spots and marks in my windshield???
Old 05-19-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, you guys will post 60 responses to a guy wondering whether or not to berger his rear panel buy no one will help me. Cool.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont get butt hurt buddy, just bump the post abck up to the top and people will respond. i wouldnt wetsand it again tho, theres only so much clear you can take off before it burns through. most peope on here live by zaino and menzerna products when it comes to fuly detailing and buffing your car. so a search on those 2 names and your bound to find an answer. hope that was helpful, as ive never used any of the two brands, just read alot of good things on them.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is kind of pricey, but there is nothing better imho than auto glymm. you can usually pick it up at an auto paint store. it is about $30-35 a bottle and you will need three: 03B, 02B and 01B. you will also need to buy the auto glymm buffing pads, i believe they are M160 and S160. the M160 is used with the 03B, which is the cutting compound. the S160 can be used for both the other compounds, 02B (glaze) and the 01B (polish) the pads are specifically designed for the compounds, but they get pricey too, about $15-20 a piece. if the paint isn't particularly faded or scratched (i am assuming it is decent as it was just wet sanded a year ago) then you can get away with just the glaze and the polish. (fwiw, this is what i do for a living, so i am not COMPLETELY ignorant to this subjuect)
Old 05-20-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My paint is still glossy and smooth I really just have a lot of small swirls and scratches from repeated washings.... I figure I really just need to polish it with a buffer since regular wax just doesn't seem to do the trick.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

You might look into contacting the guys at Tropi-Care. They're sponsors on this site, and they're very good about answering questions about both products and techniques.

I've used a LOT of different products. Menzerna, Zaino, Blackfire, Meguiar's, etc. and I'm now using Tropi-Care. I'd say the results I get are right on par with a Menzerna/Zaino combination, but it doesn't cost nearly as much.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well what do you guys think of 3M Polishing and Rubbing compounds with a high speed buffer??? and then a follow up with perhaps the new Turtle Wax ICE???