Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how deep is too deep?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007 | 07:05 PM
Launching!

Default how deep is too deep?

how deep is too deep for clear coat scratches before your at a point to take it to a real body shop and get them to repaint and blend. I have a couple of scratches on my nbm car and they stand out like a sore thumb, they are white and don't seem to go through all the way to the paint but I don't know how to tell if it did. I run my finger over it and its smooth and when I take a bit of my finger nail I can sort of find the edge of the scratch...any ideas?

will add pics if I can
Old 05-22-2007 | 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if its white that means its probably not through to the color... you may be able to wet sand it out... iv also heard of people touching it up with clear and it dissapears... never tried that yet tho... id try wet sanding it... you might break through tho so dont get too caried away.. or take it somewhere and ask them to do it...
Old 05-23-2007 | 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

If you can catch an edge with your fingernail, then it needs to be wetsanded out and polished. That's best case, worst case if it's really deep then it would need recleared and possibly blended with color if it's into the base.
Old 05-23-2007 | 11:49 AM
Launching!

thanks for the tips guys might try to go the wet sand way, my firned siad he's done it before but is too skidish around my paint and doesnt want to mess mine up so I gotta do it myself i guess