Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much reducer and whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much reducer and whats the difference?

How much reducer do you use for 12oz of urethane paint? I cant seem to get my paint to lay down good without alot of lemon peel. I usually use medium reducer during the summer months. What is the difference between fast..slow..meduim reducer also? When should i use one from the other?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

also slow fast and medium reducer is how fast it reduced the paint. the amount of reducer will normally depend on the brand paint. like standox is 1:1 - 1 part basecoat and 1 part reducer, ppg is 1 to 1 and 1/2. theres a couple things you could do to help eliminate orange peel. one thingis move the gun a little slower to get more material down. another would be to turn the air pressure down a little (25psi is where i normally spray) and turn up the fluid output a little more.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

so your saying i need more paint? The paint im using calls for 4 to 1 ratio. But its really up to you. I like to mix it 4 to 1 1/2. sounds like my tub resurfacing paint is alot thinner then automotive paint. I always thought it was along the same line.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i like to mix mine a little thin to depending on what color im spraying. try to spray around 25 psi and turn the fluid **** to add a little more fluid through the tip.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

slow, fast and medium reducers are made to deal with different temperature variations. I use slow in the summer, medium in the fall or spring and fast in the winter. It really helps from preventing solvent pop and problems dealing with evaporation of solvents. For example if you use fast clear coat hardner on a 100 deegre day you are screwed with solvent pop because the solvents from the first coat are evaporating so fast that once you lay that next coat down you will start to see bubbles coming through, leaving you in a world of hurt. I usually reduce almost all paints two to one. If i see it spaying too spritzy i add more reducer, but thats my base line. I never try to add too much reducer because that affects coverage and you will need to put more coats. Reducer is cheaper than base.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Launching!

thats what i needed to know on that parts thanks!

Quick Reply: How much reducer and whats the difference?