Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Quarter-panel crease?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007 | 02:51 AM
Launching!

Default Quarter-panel crease?

I searched but I found nothing. I looked at a few 4th gen. Camaros these past few days and one of them had this strange dent/scratches around the quarter panel where it meets the tail lights. From certain angles it looked like someone did a really crappy bondo job and didn't sand it down properly before painting it. I don't know how to describe it, but I've searched and found out people have this quarter panel crease when they get a lot of wheel hop. Does anyone have pics?

Another thing I noticed on most of the Camaros I looked at was that the fender didn't line up properly with the front of the door. Some cars had it on 1 side, some on both. Supposedly from a collision, but carfaxes done by me on both them reported no visits to the body shop? On T/As its right where the vent behind the front wheels is, the front door looks like its been pushed inwards, but the rear lines up. I noticed it ONLY on Camaros with the factory body kit installed. I think its safe to assume its not normal... or is it? Wish I took pics... please help.
Old 10-18-2007 | 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

As far as the crease goes - what you saw has nothing to do with the supposed 'torque crease' that people talk about. That is a small crease that is perpendicular to the ground, in the rear quarters where it rolls over the top edge, approximately centered over the rear wheel openings.

I had the torque crease early on, installed SFC's, had the creases taken out by Dent Wizard - they never came back.

I have no problems with fender/door alignment on my TA - gaps are uniform from top to bottom and the same at front and rear of door. It is possible that some slight misalignment can occur in mfg. - the cars are made by humans. If the misalignment is terrribly noticeable then I would definitely wonder why.

As far as CarFax reports go - they only report what WAS reported. If someone has an accident, doesn't want to turn in to insurance for whatever reason, accident wasn't reported to police, car was fixed at owners expense - it ain't gonna show up...

Only way CarFax works is if the VIN# of the car is recorded. If I wreck my car, don't turn it in to insurance or report to police, fix it myself with junkyard parts, or have a local bodyshop fix it at my expense - the VIN# will never be recorded - hence no CarFax report.

Quick Reply: Quarter-panel crease?