Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

NEED HELP...compressor prob.no pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP...compressor prob.no pressure

ok pros, im tryin to learn the clear coat. im having a prob with my hardware.
i have a 125 pressure, 10 gallon, 1.5 hp air compressor, that came with gun.
problem: i cant seem to keep consistent pressure. when i squeewz the trigger all of the air comes out and pressure to the gun goes to 0. But the bottle pressure still reads around 100 psi what am i doing wrong. iv toyed with the ***** and still no luck. what pressure should i be using anyway for clearcoat????
i havnt used any tephlon tape...but its not leaking all that bad.
HELP
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

I use 29psi with a hvlp gun. What gun? I think if you are pulling the trigger and the pressure goes down more than likely the compressors regulator is not allowing the correct amount of air to go by even though it read 125. How much hose are you running as well?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the hose is actually pretty long....i got it working and now im spraying....NEW PROBLEM...im spraying at around 79 psi...is this tooo much? it is going on a little thick and is a haze white at first then dries clear (for the most part...it is night time so i cant really tell) any advice???
Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have anykind of desecant to dry the air and eliminate contaminants. I have sprayed straight through a regular compressor with a hose in the past and for the most part you can get away with it but once it builds moisture it will start to come out through the gun giving you some pretty nasty fish eyes. yeah if the hose is pretty long that would give you lots of inconsitancy at the end of the hose. I would put a regulator at the gun and set you regulator at the compressor to like 120 and the one at the gun to 29 with the trigger pulled. That should give you a base to go by or even be dead on to spraying a good coat of clear. It also depends on the viscosity of the clear to set the correct psi, but i have used 29 with alot of clears and have had good results.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you are painting at 79 psi? thats insanely to much air and you will force the paint to dry before it hits the panel or solvent pop could be a big reason for the white spots
Old 12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok thanx pheonix....oh and i thought it was 79 psi...when the trigger is pulled its actually around 30 somewhere in that area.

thanx for all the help guys.
still layin it kinda thick...but its actually commin pretty nicely...i can buff out the runs right?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

No prob. Also if it looks milky, chances are you are spraying too thick or you are not moving fast enough. Are you getting any runs? On my first coat of clear i spray it to look like its finished, with the most minimal orage peel as possible. The trick to spraying like that is by getting close and moving fast. That gives you a good coat that is not too thick and completely covered with no dry spots. On the second coat after letting the clear flash like 20min i spray slower, hence making it thicker and glossy as hell with a good base to tack on to without producing runs.