Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What is a claybar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 05:21 PM
Launching!

Default What is a claybar?

I recently got some overspray on my black MonteSS and some friends are telling me i need a claybar,What is it,where can i get one,and most important,how do i use this sucker?
Old 01-08-2008 | 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

A claybar comes takes off overspray w/the blue colored one.You can get at a local automotive paint supplier.It looks like silly putty and you have to wet it but it comes w/instructions.
Old 01-08-2008 | 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Local autozone should have a mothers claybar kit for around $20 or so.It will last you a while just follow instructions.Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2008 | 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

very easy to use but very time consuming, great results though! it will also take all the road grime and small stuff that you wouldnt notice otherwise
Old 01-08-2008 | 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I will make your car feel AMAZING!!!

Down side is you HAVE to wax your car after...So really its nice but its time consuming.
Old 01-09-2008 | 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

A clay bar is really a bar of clay. It's used to remove imbedded debris from your paint surface. Body shop supply stores will carry the professional products and they will last a very long time. Just cut a small piece off the end of the bar along with some type of lube to allow the bar to glide over the surface and your ready to go. A strong mixture of auto car wash and water will do the trick. Wash your car first to remove as much dirt as possible. Put the car wash/water mixture into a spray bottle and wet the surface that you are going to clean. Do a small section at a time. Push the clay bar piece over the wet surface with your fingers. After you have gone over the small surface look at the clay bar. It will have debris imbedded in it. Just stretch it out and fold it over to expose a clean surface. Now you are ready for the next small section. Wash the car after you are finished with the clay bar. It shouldn't take too long to do a mid sized car. Maybe an hour first time around. After you have cleaned your car the first time with the clay bar it will only take a few minutes to do it the next time you want to polish it. I clay bar my car every time I polish it. It will keep your car looking like new for years if you stay with it.

D.J.

Last edited by OneQuickCoupe; 01-09-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2008 | 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

go to autozone they have the clay magic kit for 10-12 bucks black box with a blue guy that looks like gumby lol.comes with the lube too!
Old 01-10-2008 | 08:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks people,i will go get one.

Quick Reply: What is a claybar?