Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Disassembling 1st gen F-body (???)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Question Disassembling 1st gen F-body (???)

I'm desassembleng my 1st gen F-body Firebird to put it on a rotasserie for body work and paint, and I'm having some problems removing some of the parts.

Right now I can not remove the wipers arms, I just don't have any idea how. I've been playing with a little tab under the arm with no results.

Also, I can't take off the dash cap. I have already removed all screws, steering column and gauges, I have checked all arround but it does not even move.

I'll come back with some more questions.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2008 | 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Those wiper arms can be tricky. This is one of those things thats easier to do than explain. I beleave that the tab acts like a lock to keep the arm on. If I remember correctly, you need to put like a small nail in the arm to pull it off the windshield and then wiggle it off. Like I said it's been a few years since I removed them from my 69 bird. As far as the dash pad goes, make sure you got all the screws and bolts out.
Old 01-26-2008 | 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's supposed to be as simple as pulling up the tabs then lifting the wipers off, but that's how it goes with old cars. Try to get some penetrating lube up there and just work some finesse. As far as the dash pad goes. . Even if not all the nuts are off, it should atleast wiggle a little. It's possible someone glued it on after stripping out the studs coming out of the backside of the dash pad. I only say that because I've seen it done before. Also I've been working on a 68 bird for the past year, I dropped it off for paint a few months ago. Go check out my picture gallery in my sig. depending on how far down the rabbit hole you plan on going, it might help you in the your disassembly.
Old 01-26-2008 | 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up Got it!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you richieg and smb72 so very very much!!!

I finally got them out... uf! It took me the whole saturday and half of a WD40 can to remove the wipers arms and a bolt from the right front drum brake. What a pain in the but!

And richieg what a restoration did you do!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! Your rabit did a hole that went to china and flew away to the moon. Dude you really disassemled it! I'm just taking apart what can be done with screw drivers and wrenches, you went just to far away. A resto like yours is just in my dreams, and I thought it was imposible. I never saw something like that!

I hope to keep in touch with you, so you can share some tips with me, of corse if you don't mind.

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-26-2008 | 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine started as what was supposed to be a small project and ended up needing 95% new sheet metal. Lesson learned, never buy sight un-seen. I'm just hoping that with enough shiny stuff on it, someone will pay something stupid for it. But feel free to ask me anything. I have learned so much from this board, I feel guilty if I can't help anyone else. Either way good luck with your project, and don't be to discouraged if you uncover issues as you go further into disassembly. It's bound to happen, and no matter what it is, it can be repaired. And one last thing. I went through every liquid breaker product in the world, and by far the best was royal purple maxifim.