Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hood fix ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hood fix ?s

Hey all, I just picked up a used Mecham hood which has the usual nicks and scratches but pass. front corner has what looks like a little slice out of it. I've searched through the forum and still am undecided on if I should try it myself ot take it to someone. If I do it myself maybe use Evercoat or GM easy heat resin/filler. I'm not a body man but will try anything once. The pics I have arent the best because my damn camera wanted to focus on everything but my hood! Just looking for a little advice, thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could tackle this two different ways. I'm assuming this is a fiberglass or fiberglass composite. First way, sand chip and feather edge with eighty grit. Apply regular plastic filler to chip area, then block sand area. Finish sand with 180-220 grit, then spot prime with a quality urethane primer surfacer.

The second way is to use some of that same primer surfacer, mixed of course and use that instead of the plastic filler. This works on small areas, about 1/4 the diameter of a pencil eraser. Block sand with 180-220, then spot prime.

Final sand paint and primer with 400 or 500 grit, this depends on paint, color, and manufacture. Follow their suggestions, not your next door neighbor's. Good luck with the painting and color match this is the tricky part!

Quick Reply: Hood fix ?s