Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

berger sanding question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default berger sanding question

okay all, i just picked up a used panel a couple weeks ago and got to sanding...

it was painted black (on TOP of the original color, looks like mystic teal) and i sanded it to where some of the teal was coming through, and some is still black.

i know theres going to be color variation before paint, but im just wondering how far or how much sanding should be done for the new primer/paint to adhere.

thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

depends on how much time you want to put into it. I sanded mine down all the way to the smc, then primed and painted it. You don't have to go below the mystic teal. Just make sure the paint is dulled from sanding and the panel is smooth and even. Prime, wet sand, then paint.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

should i get more of the black off? right now, the teal is coming through like on the edges, etc.

should i just keep going a little bit more?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

just sand it untill its not shiney anymore no need in sading it all the way down to the SMC.. there should be no need in priming unless you have repaired anything on it. (chips, scatches, etc...)
Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

okay, i guess it was never really "shiny" in the first place...

so you dont think priming, then wet sanding would help?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

you can wet sand it the way it is, but no need in primeing unless you have repaired it, just a extra step that is really not needed imo. just be sure you dry it good after wet sanding before you paint, water and fresh paint not a good combo....
Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Rough it up with some 200, prime, sand with a around 600, paint, sand with 1000, paint, sand with 1200, paint, sand with higher (less grit) sand paper.

Edit: not the first stage of sanding, but every stage after you need to wet sand it with something behine it. It rolled the sand paper around a scotch brite spoung. Just make sure the spoung doesnt touch the paint.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My94TransAm
Rough it up with some 200, prime, sand with a around 600, paint, sand with 1000, paint, sand with 1200, paint, sand with higher (less grit) sand paper.

Edit: not the first stage of sanding, but every stage after you need to wet sand it with something behine it. It rolled the sand paper around a scotch brite spoung. Just make sure the spoung doesnt touch the paint.
why sand it with 200 or what ever and prime? the factory paint on the panel itself is better than any primer you can put on it. your just adding another step thats totaly not needed unless its damaged and needed repaired thats the only reason that i would prime it. just wet-sand with 600 or 800 after that go over it with a scotch bright pad the get around all the letters and fine areas that you couldnt get with the wet-sanding clean it real good and paint it.