Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

difference between blend and repaint

Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default difference between blend and repaint

alright well my car will be going in for paint not too long because i did a little damage to my front bumper, and the guy that is gonna paint my car said that he would blend everything from the doors up... and i was just wondering what the difference was between blending and actually repainting... the main reason i ask is sort of a money question, but he said he would have to blend the hood as well, but i was wanting to replace my hood with a ram air hood, and i was going to see about what the difference was in price between blending the stock hood and painting another hood...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Blending is so that the paint looks like it matches and you dont have a front bumper like its off a different car
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i figured that, but how are the processes actually different?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

You still have to paint to blend, if that makes sense.

Basically he's going to paint the bumper, and then the edges of the fenders and hood, where they meet the bumper he is going to feather in some of that new paint with the old to create a gradual "blend" between the new paint and the old.

This way it doesnt have that harsh colour difference and looks like its supposed to be there.

This might explain better than I can http://www.jackspaintplace.com/blending.htm

The cost will be somewhat significant between a new hood and using the old hood, because he will have to prep, and totally respray the new hood, unless you find a new hood in your colour, then the price would be the same as he just is going to blend it again.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well ya so basically he would just do what he is doing to my bumper to that hood because the hood will need prepped, and then he would paint the whole hood, and after that there would be even more surface that would need blended... i think thats what it means, but hell i dunno
i may just call him and see if he will do that part not included in the work that he is doing now because im sure i cant do it under insurance policy...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Launching!

if you're thinking of getting a new hood, now is the time since he'll already be blending the fenders. Blending the hood is usually 1.5 hours. Full refinish on a new hood (jams and topside) is around 5.5 hours. So if insurance is covering the 1.5 for blending the existing hood, he should just charge you 4.0 hours out of pocket for spraying a new hood
Old 03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

is hes doing the hood hes gunna have to blend the fenders and if the bumper has to be repainted then you might as well just do it all at once. the difference between blending and painting is really that when you repaint something your putting color onto the entire panel and then clearing it. when you blend a panel, lets just say your hood got painted and be blent your fenders. all hes basically going to do is put some color of the top of the fenders so that it blends with the exsisting color of the car and then re-clear the entire panel.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ahh ok yeah that helps a lot... i was sorta wondering what the case was for the clear... because it didnt seem right to scuff and repaint part of a panel and just reclear the part that was scuffed... i didnt understand how that would blend at all... but ya, i think im gonna see if he will just take the time off the insurance of what it would cost to blend my hood and just buy this hood with money out of my pocket and then have him paint it partly out of pocket and partly from insurance because id say he will do that... but ya ill have to give him a call because it would be stupid not to do it now and not wait till later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: difference between blend and repaint